It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:40

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jun 2023, 15:40 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
A while back I picked up a Phillipson Chieftain TC80 HDH. It was in rough shape. Most of the guides are bent, a couple are missing including the striper guide. The cork is rough, but no major voids or gouges and the reel seat is in nice shape. My thought was that this would be a great practice rod for my first wrapping, new guides and such. I do not intend to resell it and am not worried about its value...I found it in the wild and negotiated a small $$ buy. I don't like the paint on the rod and intend to remove it with some citri-strip as I have seen suggested on other posts.

My question is about what is underneath the paint..I am guessing it will be the later version of tobacco glass, based on the age/era of the rod and info from the WIKI.

I did take this rod out for extended lawn casting, and it really is a nice 5 weight rod with a really smooth action, so for practice rebuild, and then use in my pile-o-rods.

I am thinking a clear spar finish and black guides and tip top with maybe black thread wraps

Post 02 Jun 2023, 18:07 • #2 
Administrator
Removing all of the paint from an early glass rod is difficult. The primer layer fills small gaps for a smooth looking rod. The primer is tenacious meaning paint strippers won't remove everything. Sanding the rod deep enough to remove the primer flecks will damage glass fibers.

The options from easiest to most painful:
  1. Clean the blank and wrap the new guides in the same locations as the old. The new guide wraps cover the old guide wrap markings.
  2. Sand off only the top layer of paint leaving the primer. Repaint (use forum search for more details).
  3. Strip the rod. Finish with spar or similar. Might be fine. Or...
  4. Strip the rod in an attempt to remove all the paint. Then prime and paint. (basically option 2 with more frustration)

If this is your first time re-wrapping a rod, go with option #1 and finish the wraps with spar varnish. If everything goes well, in a year or two when you need more excitement, then strip and refinish the rod. The guides will still be fine so you can reuse them.

Tom

Post 02 Jun 2023, 21:11 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
getting rid of that original paint likely will be difficult as jgestar indicates. I tried that several years ago with a Berkeley Buccaneer without complete success. That paint was yellow so was probably more difficult. I think citrus strip is probably the best option for original paint removal, several applications likely necessary. I recall an old post on removing paint from a Phillipson blank and the blank was white.

Post 03 Jun 2023, 15:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I owned a Chieftain rod several years ago that was in very good shape, however, the paint was chipped off in a few places. If I remember correctly, it showed fairly clean brown under the thin coat of gold paint - no primer coat was obvious. Maybe the gold was applied over a clear coat? So it's possible that it might strip just fine. If not, you can prime and paint the color of your choice. If your rod is in rough shape there should be areas of missing paint and you judge for yourself. Be sure to report how it goes.

Post 05 Jun 2023, 15:29 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
so after the info from more expert sources (You folks here being the expert sources), I have decided to go with a primer and paint and clean up of the cork and black wraps and black guides I think it will work for the first rod re-do. Thanks for the guidance and info

I will post pics

New Topic Add Reply