It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:33

New Topic Add Reply
Packing rods for movers
Post 18 May 2023, 18:27 • #1 
Master Guide
Ok, thought to ask the pros here, severe downsizing of 100 rod collection. Grandkids got several, few to friends, then large number will be on sell in The Feathered Hook , but a lot need packed , and moved. Longest tube is 57” and bulk at 37” , any suggestion have I can safely packed a lot of rods in a single container?

Post 18 May 2023, 19:48 • #2 
Master Guide
Jas, I might suggest finding a large cardboard box and a bunch of packing materials. We generally buy our aluminum tubes in quantities of 55 and they make through the carrier service just fine for the most part. I am not saying you should ship your rods, but packing them in a similar way might keep them from getting beaten up. It may be best to separate the longer tubes into their own box. If you can find some foam booties to cover each end, it will help them from denting each other. Plus a cardboard divider placed into the box to create levels between the rods should help too.

Post 18 May 2023, 21:42 • #3 
Administrator
I ordered two sizes of tall box from ULine. Rods 7'6" or less were packed into 6"x6"x48" boxes. Longer rods were packed into 6"x6"x60" boxes. I could fit 7-10 rod tubes in a box. Where I could, rods without tubes were piggy backed into tubes with other rods. I used blank news print for padding.

The boxes were easy for the movers. The boxes were top loaded in the moving truck, which reduced the risk of them getting squashed.

More importantly, these boxes were an easy lift for me as we settled into the house. All the rods in one container would be too difficult to move by myself. At the new house I hung wall brackets so I could use the boxes for long term storage.

Tom

Post 19 May 2023, 01:08 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Several times, at flea markets, I've picked up the hard plastic containers used to transport golf clubs in.

If I'm transporting them myself and can guarantee nothing going to be on top of them I have placed twenty or more tubes in an old sleeping bag.

Post 19 May 2023, 07:41 • #5 
Guide
All great ideas. I like the boxes better than what we did. The boxes stack and don't roll, lol. I put tubes together, and bubble wrapped them. Rods without tubes went into either an old DB Dun multirod tube, or a piece of schedule 20 PVC tubing with caps taped on for easy removal. The caveat is, these did not go on the moving container, and we only moved inside the same county to downsize.

Post 19 May 2023, 10:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
here's an important piece of advice, that most folks don't think of:

A lot of times, rod damage occurs *inside* the tube,
because the tube is inches longer than the rod sections.
If this is the case, the rod can slab back-and-forth inside the tube during transit. ;-(

The fix? It's simple. Stuff a wad of bubble-wrap inside the top of the tube, to take up the "slop".

And good luck with your move!

Post 20 May 2023, 18:01 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
JAS, give me a call. Or just send them to me. I have plenty of room.

A lamp box did well for me. Most of my long rods are in pvc, The smaller the dimentions the better. A wardrobe box endued up weighing way too much, but the movers threw the box on a dolly and it ended up being fine.

I ended up with two rods in a lot of tubes. (one handle up, one handle down. And followed Corlay's advice. If you hear rattling in the tube, you need some extra padding. Assuming you have bags for all of them, a single piece of packing paper does wonders *or newspaper, but you probably have a bunch of packing paper for glassware anyway. Lay the packing paper on the floor, lay one rod down on top of a corner and roll. put the other rod the other direction. and roll. Roll fairly tightly, and slide the pair of rods into the tube. Getting them out is a bit time consuming, since the paper loosens a bit, but it keeps things from rattling.

My thoughts are with you.

Post 24 May 2023, 07:24 • #8 
Master Guide
When we moved I got boxes from our local bait and tackle shop. They get rods in all the time and just recycle the boxes. Also check your local muffler repair shop. We used to get heavy boxes from them. I moved mine myself after I found the movers having a light saber fight with a couple if Fenwick
hmg aluminum tubes.

New Topic Add Reply