It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 May 2023, 15:44 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi Guys! I finally got to fish my 7034 white troutsmiths rod that I built out last winter. After briefly experimenting with various 3wt lines I tried out a rio creek 4wt. Bingo! Perhaps it is no coincidence that I preferred this rods little brother (6023) with rio creek 3wt line. An orvis battenkill click pawl in the 3/4/5 size completed the outfit.

Much like its little brother, it will roll cast the entire head of a rio creek line. Its a bit of a magic wand with standard size dries like a 14 Godard caddis with small pheasant tail dropper. It also did well enough with size 10 royal Wulff on a 7' 5x leader. It also did very well swinging a Sparrow on the way back down the creek.

I hada great day with the rod catching over a dozen rainbows. The first 8 were around 7-8"

These fish put a full bend in the rod, lots of fun. However, the last 4 fish were more in the 12-14" size class..

These fish put a serious bend in the little rod, a real fight.

Big rainbows from skinny water on dries, lightline fiberglass bent to the cork, what more could you ask for?

Just like the 6023, the 7034 is an indispensable piece of southern Appalachian tackle. It roll casts beautifully and is well sized to the flies and fish that are most common in wild water down here. Thanks Shane!

Post 15 May 2023, 11:03 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Nice fish. Glad to hear that you like the rod. I'm still enjoying my 7634 that I built out last summer, or at least I will when snowmelt and runoff end.

I'd love to see more pictures of the build and hear your thoughts about it as you fish it more.

Post 15 May 2023, 11:36 • #3 
Master Guide
GlacierRambler,
After reflecting a bit, I think the 7' 3/4 will be a solid favorite on smaller waters when the fish are eating dries from about a size 12 or smaller, and it will do just fine with unweighted droppers. This is a very useful length and action down here where most wild streams are less than 10' wide. It would probably cast larger and heavier flies, but I think Ill reach for the FF70-4 or something similar when the plan is to fish really big flies or bedhead droppers.

I bet the 7634 is a blast too! I opted for the 7645. I have a hunch the 7645 might be just the trick for summer chubbies and beadheads.

The 7034 really is a good roll caster. I had a blast picking up trout on the way back downstream swinging a small sparrow. The tip is soft enough to allow solid hookups on smaller fish while swinging flies. Ill get some better photos!

Post 15 May 2023, 12:09 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome! I love the Ray Lee seat that you picked out. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite sources for wood inserts. I've picked up some from him that fit the Lemke/Struble hardware too.

Post 15 May 2023, 22:37 • #5 
Master Guide
Nice build, John! Great work on the Fenwick grip - I need to start turning my own grips. After fishing the 7645, I can see why you prefer the heavier line on both of your Trout Smith rods. My 4/5 feels like a solid medium-fast 5. I can’t think of any occasion I’d fish it with a 4wt line.

Post 16 May 2023, 09:00 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
El Duderino, I feel the same way about my 3/4. I've fished it with a 3 as an experiment, but it feels like a clear 4 in my hands.

Post 18 May 2023, 06:41 • #7 
Guide
That’s a neat little build , nicely accessorized , and a total bonus with which direction to go in finding a line it likes to cast , and yes , Ray Lee crafts some very nice seats , also a total plus that he offers many to choose from in a “you get what you see” format , along with options for some creative personalized touches … Nice Job with that TroutSmith …

Post 18 May 2023, 09:57 • #8 
Master Guide
Seth - Thanks! turning grips on the blank isnt too hard and I havent run into any trouble so far. Id recommend trying it out for sure. As for line weights, Id rather have a 5 than a 4, a a 4 than a 3, etc. I think a limber tip is really important and I like a progressive feel, but a heavier line helps cast big dries.

Thanks Matt! I agree, Ray offers a great product and great service.

New Topic Add Reply