It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:44

New Topic Add Reply
Cottonwood Grip Question
Post 18 Apr 2023, 12:09 • #1 
Sport
I have just finished turning a cottonwood grip made up of 1/2" stacked and glued discs. The "layering" of the sanded material looks great, but I just discovered a problem. My grip is extremely fragile. I inadvertently knocked it on the concrete floor and it cracked in half. I have reglued and shaped the grip and there is no sign of the break.
I am now hesitant the fit the grip without an internal sleeve. This grip is intended for a 1 weight fiberglass blank that could flex to the grip. If this were to happen, I fear the cottonwood could crack again.

So, here is my question. Has anyone used an aluminum full-length grip sleeve with success? My thought is once the sleeve is glued to the grip, I will use tape on the blank to get the correct gap, then glue the aluminum sleeve to the taped blank.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Post 18 Apr 2023, 17:51 • #2 
Administrator
Posting photos of the parts always helps (click here for photo posting instructions).

I have seen very few wood rod grips on rods made in the last 100 years. Ron Kusse made some gorgeous black walnut grips. I have not seen a grip made from cottonwood.

I don't think a 1 weight glass rod will damage the grip by over pressuring it. I would worry more about the hard end of the grip damaging the rod blank.

Tom

Post 18 Apr 2023, 19:18 • #3 
Sport
Tom,
Thanks for the reply. I would love to post a photo or two but earlier attempts to post photos was way to much time spent for zero results! I know it is me and not the forum, so I will leave it at that.
The cottonwood is extremely light and I am not concerned with the wood damaging the glass blank.
The spot I will fish this 1 weight has a population of LM bass which will grab my trout offerings ( my zero weight has been into the cork ). Should this happen with the cottonwood, I bet the first ring or two would be flexed and I absolutely do not want to risk it.

Post 18 Apr 2023, 19:49 • #4 
Guide
This may be out of left field, but see if this has merit:

I don't know the diameter of your blank, but if small enough, I would look for an archery shop in your locale. See if the I.D. of the largest diameter carbon fiber arrows they sell might pass over the butt of your blank.

If so, purchase one as material for a liner. It would have some flex, but if well bonded, should protect your fragile grip material. If no arrow shaft would work, might the shaft of a golf club work? Are those made of graphite these days? You might find a pro shop with a damaged shaft they would part with for free or on the cheap.

Good luck in your project!

Post 18 Apr 2023, 20:35 • #5 
Sport
Should I assume you are using cottonwood bark rings for the grip? You might reach out to Ray Lee (reel seats) who is selling the rings as an alternative to cork for grip making. I think I read somewhere the grips should be sealed to keep moisture out. Good luck.
Chris

Post 18 Apr 2023, 20:41 • #6 
Sport
JustJim,

Thanks for your thoughts.

There is a hobby supplier who has thin walled aluminum tubing that will work. The overarching question is will a taped blank under the grip work without squeaks, etc.

Many of us use tape under reel seats to fit our blanks, but I have never contemplated making tape spacers under the longer and flexible grip (normally cork).

Seems it should work, but I hope to hear from someone who has done it before I attempt to do it.

Post 19 Apr 2023, 05:04 • #7 
Master Guide
There was an article several years ago in a rod building magazine about coring out grips to make them lighter. One of the things they used was a foam core. It’s a rigid foam that is almost like that expanding foam insulation. You can buy it in sticks or premade shapes for carbon fiber grips
I’ve used it as a shim under an all metal reel seat. It turns fast with just sandpaper. The one downside would be that you would have to core out tour grip quite a bit. But I think the foam material would be mire flexible than aluminum.

Post 19 Apr 2023, 06:48 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Won't the blank being fully bonded to the grip reinforce the stack of disks? it seems to me that if the grip is fitted with just enough space from the blank that you get a full layer of epoxy, then when cured blank, epoxy and wood become a single piece?
I don't understand how a sleeve improves anything?

Post 19 Apr 2023, 06:56 • #9 
Master Guide
Good point Trev. It would be no different than cork rings. I’ve made two cotton wood grips and they are still fine. One is on an 8 wt. adding some type of finish would help strengthen them very slightly but it also brings out the grain/ color.

New Topic Add Reply