It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:41

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Apr 2023, 14:42 • #1 
Sport
Hello all, hope some of you are fishing now!

I know that this ferrule issue is an ongoing topic down through the years, and much good information has been shared. Expert advice of both non-aggressive temporary repair as well as some rather spooky mechanical manipulations with female ferrule compression devices.

My situation was produced over a few seasons of periodically cleaning my
Phillipson RF76 male ferrule with a polishing cloth, and the female ferrule with alcohol swab. That flannel cloth is used to mirror polish metal of various types using either Simichrome or Flitz, whichever I have on the bench at the moment. As most know, those compounds are super fine grit and I have experience using them on aluminium and steel. A couple of minutes of hand buffing a 3"-4" surface.will remove less than .002" measured with a micrometer.

Well apparently :rolleyes the small diameter and less surface area weren't considered, and the resounding pop on separation had become a mere "ph", ....turning the tip section before seated was easy. I read somewhere here about hammer tapping the end of the male ferrule to flare it slightly and liked that notion.

I used a heavy handled butter knife (smooth convex handle surface) to firmly tap the end as I constantly turned the male ferrule, starting with three rotations and a fit check. Barely tighter. Firmer taps, all around the end produced significantly tighter fit, and the "pop" began to return. Two more repeats and the fit is tight when inserted and pops as it should when parted.

I wish I had measured before and after, as I perceive by touch a very s l I g h t mushroom effect. It must be what I'd call inverted because it is hard to push in straight, and sort of bites, but removal is just a good firm vacuum pull.

What do y'all think? It should be semi permanent, back to depending on wear, right?
No more "polishing" my metal ferrules either, simple alcohol wipe inside and out!
Regards, Charlie

Post 17 Apr 2023, 20:10 • #2 
Administrator
Metal ferrules don't have to be sparkly pretty. They have to be clean. Polishing clothes are bad juju. At worst abrasive clothes erode the tight fit between male and female ferrule. At their nasty best, polishing clothes are saturated with silicone oils and other voodoo cleaning chemicals. They leave residues behind that attract dirt and grit. Some magic cleaning chemicals leave enough smutz to interfere with the ferrule fit.

Look here for instructions on cleaning metal ferrules.

Don't oil or lubricate ferrules that fit well. Don't polish them to make them shiny. Don't twist and turn them when fitting up the rod sections. Just keep them clean.

As far as whacking a ferrule with a butter knife being a semi-permanent repair? Probably not. More likely the metal got bruised, causing a tight fit. The bruises may wear down in a season or two. At that point, use some paraffin wax to tighten the fit.

Tom

Post 18 Apr 2023, 06:32 • #3 
Sport
Thanks for the prompt response Tom, I gathered some of that in my cursory research. I guess i didn't consider it polshing since that wasn't the intent, of course my bad.
A few months is actually what I was thinking of as semi permanent, rather than the paraffin application which will be the go to as you offered.
I guess one could consider all of the malforming antics as bruising and likely to wear down too.
Thanks again for your advice.

Charlie

Post 18 Apr 2023, 09:35 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like a good fix to me.

And yes, any of the crimping etc is also only temporary, much like your repair. But the idea is to get the rod back on the water. You done good.

Post 18 Apr 2023, 09:44 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
You can slightly resize ferrules with a special tool or by a little tapping when it can't hurt but might help. Best, of course, to avoid the situation to begin with as Tom described. Worst case scenario, it is easy enough to replace the ferrules with a new set.

Post 18 Apr 2023, 12:24 • #6 
Sport
Thanks for the comments, I'll add the life of this tinkering repair as use and subsequent wear goes on.
When doing this sort of thing you need to keep in mind that time is not a factor. Start anything that deals in thousandths like you've got all day.
As noted, my own fault for using ANY abrasive. I didn't take into consideration that the small surface area and gripping pressure made it so much more aggressive. Paraffin only from now on.

Charlie

New Topic Add Reply