It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Apr 2023, 06:42 • #1 
Master Guide
I am wanting to meet up with a friend and lawn cast a rod that has not been built out. I have seen a video on YouTube, in which a guy uses elastic cord to tie down the guides and then cast a supply line or some type of light cord.

I am wondering if anybody has taped guide feet to blank and casted fly line? Maybe I could tape the feet so they won’t scratch the blank and then snugly secure them with masking tape.

I think scratching may not be an issue if using CP thread. Maybe even if going translucent, thread finish would fill scratches? Or would casting just rip off all the tape and make guides go flying?

It’s a Steffen 4/5. I’m gonna epoxy the grip and seat today. Lawn casting is a few days out.

Post 01 Apr 2023, 09:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have done this before. I just used a few turns of painter's or masking tape (can't remember which one) around the guide feet. The guides went directly on the blank. This gave me a chance to test two different versions of spacing to figure out which I preferred. They weren't long casting sessions, but I did spend several minutes trying different casts of different lengths each time.

Post 01 Apr 2023, 11:56 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks. We’ll have to be gentle and not go the distance. Maybe just a few light casts each.

Post 05 Apr 2023, 12:01 • #4 
Master Guide
Ive done this on every rod Ive built. I use blue painters tape to tape the guides directly to the blank. I dont typically do any really energetic casting but Ive never had a guide come loose.

You may want to wrap the ferrules before doing this though

Post 05 Apr 2023, 18:19 • #5 
Master Guide
Wrapping the ferrules is a great suggestion. We’ve move our lawn casting to next week. Good to know.

Post 05 Apr 2023, 21:29 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I use vinyl auto pinstripe tape to hold the guides on the blank while trial casting. I trial cast unless I have reason to “know” guide spacing and sizing in advance of a build. It can get tedious, but its worth it.

Post 08 Apr 2023, 09:41 • #7 
Piscator
tournament casters always use temporary guide placement, and you can buy the tape from surfcastproshop.
https://surfcastproshop.com/shop/ols/pr ... ping-tapes

New Topic Add Reply