It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:15

New Topic Add Reply
Wrapping Advice
Post 20 Mar 2023, 09:19 • #1 

I'm working on an 8'6" NFC Iconoglass 8wt and want improve my wrapping. This is the first decorative ferrule wrap I've tried other than trim bands and simple inlays. I used a sawblade variation of the JT olive branch, but it separated between the sections and doesn't look that great. I normally wrap fairly tight and pack the threads down frequently, but found it much harder to do when wrapping by hand rather than through a thread tensioner. What should I be doing differently? I've got 3 more of these to do on the rod, so I'm asking for feedback to improve on the other sections.

Re: Wrapping Advice
Post 20 Mar 2023, 14:25 • #2 
Administrator
You are attempting the 'hero' version, where you complete all the threadwork, then finish. I'm impressed your wraps look so solid.

You can also build complex wraps in stages. For instance, wrap the dark blue bands, then apply a thin coat of color preservative or very thin coat of varnish. Apply just enough finish to wet the threads. Allow it to dry completely. Trim the tag ends after the finish dries. Then construct the next band of thread, apply finish to only the new thread, and repeat. The thin finish holds the completed wraps very effectively, but does not build thickness.

Tom

Post 20 Mar 2023, 23:12 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with Tom on the finish. I often use CP to bind in the wraps. Especially metallic trim wraps.

When you say you are dong the threadwork by hand and not through a thread tensioner, I am a bit confused. I usually have tension on one of my threads at all times, If you are doing olive branch, you can keep one thread tensioned on the spool and the other requires some deft manuvering with your other hand.

I also will treat this type of wrap as a succession of bands, so the tag ends are under the band of the same color. Get a band done to your liking, you can CP it. If you don't like it, rewrap that band.

Patience.

This is why I don't do these types of wraps. And you chose a very complicated pattern for your first attempt. I tried a couple of white olive branches over black and that was hard enough. Also, when doing the thread work (like the olive branch) you can play with how tightly the thread is spun. If you unspin the thread a bit, it is more like floss and will lay flatter.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 12:24 • #4 
Thank you both, I appreciate the feedback, compliments, and suggestions. I'm just trying to do what I see guys doing on youtube and instagram, however the "hero" wrapping method turned out to be far more difficult than I assumed. Going by individual bands of color is definitely a lot easier. I'll give that a try on the next one. I've been adding CP after each guide is done to help hold them until I can get some epoxy applied.

Carlz, by tension I mean that only the dark blue is coming off of the spool under tension on my wrapper. I inlaid threads of the other colors and ran them under the wrap until I needed them. The metallic showed through in places and I'll only add it in where I need it in the future. I've got a lot to learn but I'm really enjoying this - 3 more blanks are stashed in a closet for my next builds.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 00:18 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
If you haven't epoxied, don't feel bad about cutting it off and trying over. It usually goes better the next time.

And good luck.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 10:20 • #6 
Guide
A little off topic question - that ferrule wrap shown above. Is there any advice or recommendation out there for how close the wrap should be to the end?

Post 22 Mar 2023, 11:15 • #7 
Guide
Hobbyist builder opinion here but... I would take the finish up to or very close to the edge of the ferrule for protection, so I'd get the wrap closer to the end than you are in the pic. Since the epoxy wants to wick back into the thread, a bit closer will allow a good "cushion" of epoxy to sit outside the wrap and onto blank, out to the ferrule edge. Otherwise, if you try to cover to the end bare, it might thin out (wick into the thread, plus the cohesive effect) and you risk that extra epoxy footballing your actual wrap. This is more likely with thin mixtures.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 07:31 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The wrap at the ferrule is a protection against splitting and edge damage. Close as you can get it--a few thread's width by nudging the wraps toward the end--would be the ideal. If a decorateve scheme makes that harder to do, a ferrule ring can take care of the end. But there is a lot of variation, best observed by checking closeup pics all through FFR.

Post 27 Mar 2023, 11:26 • #9 
Thanks! I thought I had it about 1/16" from the end but it looks like it migrated a bit. I'll wrap it a bit closer next time.

New Topic Add Reply