It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:49

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Mar 2023, 12:39 • #1 
Guide
Hello all-

I've just received a blank from Proof, and have as my goal a trim small stream rod. I really like the looks of the "ventilated" cork grips such as Chris Barclay does.

Before I commence, Has anyone regretted having this feature? Less than comfortable, collects debris, any such negative opinions born of experience?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience. :)

Last edited by JustJim on 18 Mar 2023, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 13:41 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I recently installed a ventilated grip on my Ben’s of Holland 2wt blank and have no regrets. Check it out on Rod Photos. I made a couple of observations on that post that might be helpful. I got a Soulmate Glassic 2wt blank yesterday and will install a ventilated grip on that. You really can feel the rod flexing through the grip. If you chose to do it, I suggest you watch a two part video on You Tube by Chris Crumbliss. Worth your time. I have one of Chris Barclay’s 68 3wts with a ventilated grip and have had no issues with it. Roy

Post 18 Mar 2023, 15:19 • #3 
Guide
I like a ventilated grip as long as the spaces are not to wide. To wide makes the grip uncomfortable for me.
I cork the blank then cut on the glue lines with an agricultural set up that is posted here somewhere.
The cuts would be about .030” wide roughly.
Tom Morgan once advised me not to hold the rod with such a tight grip as a lighter grip would allow you to better feel the rod loading and unloading. I find this “ fine line ventilation ‘’ adds grip if you will without hand pressure.
I thank Dennis Franke for his guidance and patience and tips on venting grips and many other rod building tips.
Michael

Post 18 Mar 2023, 15:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I’m afraid I just don’t understand the concept, or why anyone would want one. I think they are just plain ugly, and can’t imagine what one would feel like.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 16:07 • #5 
Guide
JustJim, I greatly prefer ventilated grips on my smaller water rods. Improves the connection I feel with rod, line and fish. Once I tried it, I ventilated all my small water rods.
You definitely don’t want the gaps too wide (uncomfortable) or too narrow (pinchy). I have found I prefer gaps 2 dimes wide (approx 1/8”). I crazy glued a bunch of them together to serve as spacers during epoxying to the blank.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 17:29 • #6 
Guide
Thanks for the good input!

I liked the idea of feeling the rod flex through the grip, and I thought it was a new and interesting departure in style. Then I learned that Paul Young used to do this on some of his cane rods.

Nothing is really new, is it?

Post 18 Mar 2023, 18:42 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
As to the gap between the rings, I use the 1/8” thick white delrin washers I get from Ace Hardware. I like the ones with the bigger center hole. Remember to cut them in half before using them.

Post 19 Mar 2023, 08:46 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Ive bult a few rods with ventilated grips.
if the gaps are close enough, the grip is very comfortable. I spaced my cork rings with pennies. That was pretty perfect for me

Post 19 Mar 2023, 18:37 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
It is interesting, I did a grip with too narrow of a gap, and they pinch when the rod is loading deeply. I would keep the gaps wide. I also don't see the benefit of the ventilated grips where the gaps are not all the way to the blank. The purpose is to let the blank flex.

Post 19 Mar 2023, 19:44 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Seems to me that each ring would only have one gluing surface, ie, between the center hole of the ring and the blank. In a standard grip, each ring is supported at the center hole as well as with the surfaces it shares with the two adjacent rings. Over the long haul, I wouldn’t be surprised if one or more rings loosened up.

Post 19 Mar 2023, 19:56 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Gaddis,

Tightbond III does wonders, as well as keeping the rings fairly tight.

And I haven't heard of it ever being a problem on the Paul Young rods.

Having done it, I don't feel the need to build another, but they look cool.

Post 19 Mar 2023, 20:46 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not fond of the look, but if you like it go for it! Seems to be kind of a modern fashion. I never got used to uplocking seats either :)

And like the man above, it can't possibly be as sturdy

Post 20 Mar 2023, 14:14 • #13 
Guide
I'm right there with you on the up-locking reel seats, although I do have a couple.

With the excellent modern adhesives available to us, I'm not sure the spaced rings will be fragile - IF they are well bonded in the first place.

I opened up my cork rings yesterday, but I have now convinced myself that they are too closely fitted, and that they are likely to "squeegee" the epoxy ahead of them and not permit good wetting of the bonding surface. I am going to use a needle file to cut a few channels in each ring, so that the adhesive will be delivered to where it needs to be.

I found some suitable nylon washers today. Next step is to fabricate a clamp to compress the cork stack while curing.

Post 20 Mar 2023, 14:52 • #14 
Administrator
I recommend a quick test to see if the epoxy sticks to the nylon washers. Or plan to remove the spacer pieces before the epoxy sets.

retiredfisher1 wrote:
Remember to cut them in half before using them.
Sadly, I can just imagine myself falling into that trap...

Tom

Post 20 Mar 2023, 18:44 • #15 
Sport
I love the look on smaller rod and would want to try one, but it seems like a big commitment. How does it affect your grip? I use a tight v-grip when casting.

Post 20 Mar 2023, 20:04 • #16 
Sport
Nay. I agree with Gaddis on this one.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 10:18 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
JustJim - did you taper the enlargement of the hole in the ring? Once tapered, make sure the larger side of the hole is installed facing the butt. I use a round, tapered rat file for enlarging the hole.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 11:23 • #18 
Guide
Yes, I did taper, if rather crudely. I was just using a large "rat tail" file. As I sized each ring to fit in its desired location, I numbered it. Thus each can be returned to the same location and orientation.

I'm an old aerospace guy, so I am very comfortable with prep work prior to epoxy bonding, but I laughed out loud at the warning not to put the spacer rings in whole. I laughed because it would just be so easy to do that while focusing on other details! :lol

Post 10 Jun 2023, 08:24 • #19 
Master Guide
I am a fan of the ventilated grip. When I got my Chris Barclay custom build a few years ago, I talked to Chris about the pros and cons of this style of rod handle (and many other options which was a blast). The thing he said that convinced me to go for it is that these grips with space between the cork rings are very comfortable when wet with water or sweat. Since I fish mostly at home in North Texas this was a selling point. Having hiked and fished with and landed many fish on this rod, I love this grip style. Here’s a Pedernales River largemouth bass from last weekend.

Post 11 Jun 2023, 20:36 • #20 
Master Guide
Nay. Not a fan of the look. Reminds me of overly done thread wraps and such on some custom rods.

Post 02 Jul 2023, 16:51 • #21 
Guide
I like a minimalist look. These grips do not satisfy my sense of aesthetics.

Post 03 Jul 2023, 20:15 • #22 
Guide

Having now built and fished it, I rather like it. I had hoped it might let me feel the rod flex through the grip, but the blank I built on is just stiff enough that this does not happen.

Would I build another? Not sure, but it was an itch I just had to scratch!

Post 03 Jul 2023, 20:58 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for showing. I guess that is a good itch to scratch--it could be easily done over anyway.

Cork does not need to be "ventilated." Cork does not need extra surface area exposed to weather or to become fouled with grime and silicates from stream water. Cork does not need to be spaced to provide flexibility--only shaped to suit the hand relative to the flex of the rod. Cork does not need extra edges to be worn or chipped. It only needs to be allowed to breath and wiped clean every once in a while. To me, something looks good when its form makes it look functional and durable. I don't see that in a ventilated grip.

But these are all minor--given the ease with which a grip can be repaired or replaced. Sure why not, especially if someone does like the grip and sees more in it than an ill-named ornamental novelty.

Post 03 Jul 2023, 21:35 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I've never seen a grip like that in person, don't like the look in pictures, but like whrlpool said it's easy to replace if you don't like it in the future. My question though (aside from all the extra fitting work) is how do you clean the slime and slit out of those crevices? and of course how often? do they smell at the end of a long hot day?

Post 04 Jul 2023, 10:49 • #25 
Guide
No, no odor, although I may not fish as hard as you do. I always tended to clean my rod and reel at the end of the day by plunging them into the water and stripping out some line to rinse any grit out of the reel. If that weren't enough, a toothbrush and a drop of dish soap does a good job on a cork grip.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply