It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:05

New Topic Add Reply
Double Agate guides?
Post 13 Mar 2023, 07:37 • #1 
Guide
Just curious to hear what your guys thoughts are on this. This past weekend I was lucky enough to pick up my first McFarland blank. Mike was crazy helpful and knowledgeable about the blanks and I excited to start the build.

It is a 6wt blank, typically when I have built 6-7wts I’ve gone with 2 stripping guides. Im not sure I’ve seen a build where folks have used double agates. Is there any draw back besides cost to use 2 agate guides?

Re: Double Agate guides?
Post 13 Mar 2023, 21:48 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like agate on rods that are 5wt and under. Agate is more delicate. And usually have a lot smaller Inner Diamater, so really aren't the best guides for shooting line. I would go with a single agate, or go to a non-agate guides. Pac-Bay boat guides have a traditional look, but are as rugged as any guide you can find.

Go with what you want, but agates are for beauty and tradition, and dual stripping guides are for performance.

Post 14 Mar 2023, 08:37 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
It would look sharp, and if it turns your key go for it! (I'm too cheap)

Unless you are going crazy small, inside diameter of guide isn't gonna make any difference

Post 14 Mar 2023, 11:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Your blank supplier would be the best one to identify any drawbacks. In terms of wear, agate is significant mainly for the stripping guide because it receives angular pressure of line under tension in stripping/retrieving, and from line under tension angling up to the reel. A strong, wear resistant stripping guide is most important. If you would use a second stripping guide--sizing down to the next (first) snake guide--on any other 6 or 7 weight, an agate should be fine. Only something very unusual about the blank--an extremely flexible lower section, for instance--might be reason to think twice about a relatively heavy or stiff (because of its braced feet) guide.

Post 15 Mar 2023, 20:28 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I’ll just note that it can be difficult to source agate guides in sizes 14-16, if you are looking at those dimensions. They’ll be relatively costly when you do find them.

New Topic Add Reply