It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 05:00

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Mar 2023, 13:43 • #1 
Sport
As the title states, I'm looking for some recommendations for my first fiberglass build. It's all a bit overwhelming, to be honest, so hoping some of you might be able to point me in the right direction. I'd like to be in the 300ish range for the build. I've read a lot of reviews about the Epic glass, but it seems like they only have a 476. I feel like I'd like something in the 380 range. Rod would be for smaller Maine rivers but need some versatility between dries/nymphs/double nymphs.

Looking forward to some ideas. Thank you!

Post 05 Mar 2023, 14:24 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Do you have an idea as to length you are looking for? Longer (say up to about 8ft) rather than shorter (7-7 1/2ft)? And you are looking to build rather than purchasing a finished rod ? Roy

Post 05 Mar 2023, 14:34 • #3 
Sport
retiredfisher1 wrote:
Do you have an idea as to length you are looking for? Longer (say up to about 8ft) rather than shorter (7-7 1/2ft)? And you are looking to build rather than purchasing a finished rod ? Roy

I think I'm leaning toward a 7'6" or 8' as opposed to a 7'. My concern with a 7' is losing a bit more versatility with a 7' that I might want should I go toward slightly larger (i.e. from a small mountain stream to a smaller/medium local stream). I'm also currently leaning toward building, rather than just purchasing.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 14:34 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Reach out to Shane Gray. He produces rods under both the Steffen and Trout Smiths lines, and he could recommend something to you.

I’ve also noticed that he has started selling build kits for several of his offerings. I don’t know if he would be willing to do a custom kit, but you could certainly ask. If not, buying a blank and getting the rest from somewhere like Custom Fly Rod Crafters should be within your budget.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 14:36 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
If you are willing to stretch your budget to $400 you can get a nice steffen glass blank $280+/- as well as good quality components to build a terrific 3wt or 4wt. rod. If not, the Lamiglas honey blanks are a less expensive, quality option-- $150 -$160. I'd go for the 7'6" 4wt; my favorite of the lami honey series. You'll need to check the lamiglas web site to see if they are available though. They were sold out last time I checked. Also, the Proof blanks from Matt are popular but I have never handled one.

Whichever blank you decide on, I'd go 4wt versus 3wt. It will offer greater versatility yet fish well on the water you describe.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 15:03 • #6 
Sport
picketpin52 wrote:
If you are willing to stretch your budget to $400 you can get a nice steffen glass blank $280+/- as well as good quality components to build a terrific 3wt or 4wt. rod. If not, the Lamiglas honey blanks are a less expensive, quality option-- $150 -$160. I'd go for the 7'6" 4wt; my favorite of the lami honey series. You'll need to check the lamiglas web site to see if they are available though. They were sold out last time I checked. Also, the Proof blanks from Matt are popular but I have never handled one.

Whichever blank you decide on, I'd go 4wt versus 3wt. It will offer greater versatility yet fish well on the water you describe.

Thanks, I will look into that. I have been looking at Proof a decent amount. Considering it's my first build, I'm contemplating going cheaper over a potential nice blank like a steffen but also, the appeal of something a bit higher quality intrigues me.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 15:50 • #7 
Guide
A couple of solid options would be:
Matt Draft of Proof. Excellent products that are budget friendly. He can put together a kit for you for a one-stop shopping experience. He’s got tutorial videos on his site that I have found to be really helpful.

Shane Gray of Graywolf fly rods. A little pricier but rolled in house, highly praised and time-tested tapers. He will put together a build kit as well, not sure if he sells thread or epoxy. The Steffen tapers are sweet. I don’t have experience with his Troutsmith rods but have heard good things.

Both of these gentlemen are members here, so you can reach out via PM. Good luck and enjoy your building experience!

Post 05 Mar 2023, 16:47 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
For a first build, the Proof kits are nice. He puts together a really nice package.

I would also consider the boosting the price a bit and going with a Steffen 8' 3/4 or a McFarland Spruce Creek
You can go with cheaper cork, a sliding band reelseat and pac-bay guides and you can get components down to about $50. Build the rod, fish it hard and if you want to rebuild it later, you can do that.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 18:05 • #9 
Administrator
For a first rod build, consider finishing the wraps with spar varnish rather than epoxy. Spar takes several very thin coats to get a nice finish. Otherwise, the process is relatively easy. If you want to change the guides around in a season or two, spar is easy to remove.

Tom

Post 05 Mar 2023, 18:24 • #10 
Master Guide
Hello, you might look at Blue Halo they have a nice true to line wt. 7’6” 4 piece 3 wt. blank that is $140.00. It a moderate action with a nice soft tip. It will easily handle small indicator rigs, dry/ dropper and nymphs and streamers to size 10.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 19:40 • #11 
Guide
Lots of good suggestions so far. My first few builds did not turn out great. I'd recommend going with less expensive blanks for the first build and then once you have some practice step up to more expensive.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 19:59 • #12 
Master Guide
Ill throw in another vote for Shane. If you want to get into the game with a less expensive blank ($100-200), his troutsmiths rods are really really great. Im working on my third. If you want a higher dollar blank, Shane is now rolling Steffen blanks. If you asked members on this site to make a pole and list the top three American rod blanks/companies/manufacturers, the Steffen rods would most certainly make the list. Cant go wrong with Shane.

Post 06 Mar 2023, 09:22 • #13 
Guide
And again , talk to Shane , see if he will/can craft you something in a Steffen 7’-9” 3/4wt variety , he may have the original mandrels and it’d be nice to get some of those early tapers back in production , or just go with the 3pc -8’-0” , you can’t go wrong with a Steffen , however , as stated by others , if it’s your first build , and you’d rather start off a little slower with things , Matt Draft of Proof fly Fishing has some great offerings , and he is just first rate to deal with in all respects , as well as the others mentioned , have fun with whatever you do …

Post 06 Mar 2023, 12:22 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
As others have suggested, a Steffen blank is certainly one of the best. At just under $300, it might still keep you at your proposed budget when purchasing guides, reel seat, grip, etc. I would also strongly suggest you look at the Haldin Dry Fly 708. A 7’8” 3wt 4pc, $100 less than the Steffen. It is a wonderful progressive med fast translucent light yellow blank that would, in my opinion, meet all your stated needs. I purchased mine over two years ago and it is an enjoyable rod to fish. My personal experience with Proof blanks is that the stated line weights are not accurate, requiring at least one line weight heavier.

Post 10 Mar 2023, 17:23 • #15 
Master Guide
Agree with above.

“talk to Shane , see if he will/can craft you something in a Steffen 7’-9” 3/4wt variety”

New Topic Add Reply