It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:09

New Topic Add Reply
Varnish Question
Post 01 Mar 2023, 15:57 • #1 
Hi,
I have a guy restoring an old South Bend rod for me. He said that is has been many years since he restored a glass rod. He can't seem to find the type of varnish that he used to use on glass rods. He described it as very thin and almost volatile, as opposed to the varnish he uses to build graphite rods. I told him that I would ask you guys what you were using for varnish on glass rods these days. Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to finally getting to cast this rod as soon as it is finished. Thank you.
Bob

Re: Varnish Question
Post 01 Mar 2023, 16:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I use Helmsman Spar on my builds. You can thin it with mineral spirits without any issues to get to the consistency that you want.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 16:33 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Some of the old favorites just aren't available anymore, I think because of various regs on chemicals relative to environmental and health concerns. My old favorite sure isn't, nor a comparable forumla. Nevertheless quality spar varnish that gives comparable results is available, and can be thinned according to the maker's recommendation, as in GlaciarRambler's example. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11642&p=187173&hilit=Masury+Cosmo+Spar#p187173

Post 01 Mar 2023, 17:02 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
man-o war marine spar varnish might be the closest thing to what your guy used a long time ago, and like Helmsman can thinned to suit. Oil based spar varnishes kinda died out in the war against volatile thinners.

Post 01 Mar 2023, 18:19 • #5 
Guide
I also rebuild old glass saltwater rods and we use this product now with good results. CPXtra is the name of it, good stuff. Very thin and easy to work with, clear finish. For woven glass grain it is thin enough to maintain the woven look if used in a thin coat.

https://voodoorods.com/products/cpxtra-rod-finish

New Topic Add Reply