It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Feb 2023, 20:55 • #1 
Master Guide
With all the Fenwick knowledge the group posseses - I'm hoping someone will be able to provide the answer.

I am getting an already built 96-6 blank off of auction site this Monday if the weather does not delay it. The tip top on it has a ring in it and I think I am going to replace the tip top with a standard wire one. Tried searching, but my attempts did not turn up the tip top size on either a 806 or the 96-6. I could buy a number of sizes, but would like to get the right one if possible.

Thank you!

Here is what the original looks like:

Post 24 Feb 2023, 21:35 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If there is a shop near you take it there and let them change it for you. They will have a few sizes, the heat source, the hot melt glue and some experience with that repair. Personally I'd fish as is.

Post 24 Feb 2023, 22:33 • #3 
Administrator
Don't trust the published specs. Measure from multiple directions to make sure you are covered if the tip is slightly oval. Then buy a size above and a size below anyway. Between the three tip tops, one should fit well.

Tom

Post 25 Feb 2023, 08:38 • #4 
Master Guide
Thank you Tom and Trev,

I have the heat gun, the tip-top glue and some experience installing them, just repaired one on a Wondered that was not seated all the way, but it has been 20 years since I built rods though. Need to go buy some digital calipers - will need to check Harbor Freight next time I am near one. My Ex is now in possession of the calipers as well as a number of 60's & 70's era fiberglass vintage surf rods and some unbuilt Fenwick 1pc 10' surf blanks that I will need to liberate.

Post 25 Feb 2023, 09:40 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Buying several 5, 5 1/2 or 6 being most likely, as Tom suggested, is the easiest way--and will cost less than a set of calipers. If a nearby tackle shop has tiptops in stock, you can just take the tip in and test fit. Or to measure, any drill gauge set or template will get you more than close enough, especially if you also buy one upsize and one down. You'll use them on another rod sooner or later anyhow.

Post 25 Feb 2023, 13:15 • #6 
Master Guide
Thank you whrlpool, jgestar, and Trev. I will order up a few and see what fits. I probably will now replace the rather big tip tops on a couple of CGR rods too, as they are very big - especially in lighter line sized rods. Appreciate the suggestions and the willingness to share knowledge and suggestions!

Have a good weekend to you all!

Pete

Post 25 Feb 2023, 16:14 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If you intend to continue refurbishing your rods, I suggest you invest in a micrometer. I got mine from Ace Hardware for around $20. Sure makes measuring easy.

Post 25 Feb 2023, 16:21 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I use my micrometer / digital calipers all the time for rod building. It also gets used around the house quite a bit as well. It's more than paid for itself over the last few years.

New Topic Add Reply