It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:27

New Topic Add Reply
Help!!
Post 18 Feb 2023, 16:33 • #1 
Guide
I'm re-doing a rod for a friend of mine and I need some advice. I'm stripping the old paint off with Citrus Strip and it works fine. My problem is it has that gold foil wrap under the wraps and the stripper won't even touch it. I don't know what kind of glue they used on it, but it is not coming off. There is a beautiful honey blank under all the paint and crap but I have to deal with this foil stuff. Does anyone have a tip for me to get at this stuff.
Thanks,Bob V

Re: Help!!
Post 18 Feb 2023, 17:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Realize that if you get it off, the color tone of the underlying blank will almost certainly be slightly different. That may not matter to you, but you may want a cosmetic plan for the band of variant color left behind. Personally, assuming it is that secure and undamaged, I would leave it and reuse it. Otherwise, very careful scoring with a razor blade should enable you to slice and peel it away. Then a solvent like goo-gone (check for its compatibility with plastic/fiberglass) will remove any adhesive gum.

Post 18 Feb 2023, 17:34 • #3 
Guide
I know there might be a color change, but I'm hoping that it's so slight I can use maybe a spiral wrap to distract the eye a little so it won't be noticed. Tried the razor blade but I don't want to hurt the black. And besides it's a real pain in the a** to do. Thanks for the tip on goo-be gone I'll try that.

Post 18 Feb 2023, 18:03 • #4 
Administrator
bob v wrote:
My problem is it has that gold foil wrap under the wraps and the stripper won't even touch it.

The gold foil wrap is a plastic film with the backside metalized, then coated with adhesive. The film was wrapped like tape. The plastic film resists the paint stripper and many other chemicals. The adhesive has been there for a few decades, it won't come off easily.

I would warm it with a heat gun, find the edge of the plastic film, then unwrap it. Goo-Gone, mineral spirits, or acetone to remove the last gooey spots. Or, you might be able to start at the edge of the film, then unwrap by swabbing the adhesive with an acetone soaked Q-tip.

Tom

Post 19 Feb 2023, 15:10 • #5 
Guide
Well, I've tried Citrus Stripper and Goof -Off and it barely touches it .A lot of scraping with a razor blade just to get to the glue. If I can't find an easier way to get this wrap off, I might just have to chuck it and build him a new rod.

Post 19 Feb 2023, 16:40 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Did you try heat?? as suggested above. A heat gun is a wonderful tool for a lot of things like this.

Post 21 Feb 2023, 13:31 • #7 
Guide
majicwrench wrote:
Did you try heat?? as suggested above. A heat gun is a wonderful tool for a lot of things like this.

Man,you guys saved my butt again! I tried every kind of goo-off,goop-off and citrus stripper with no results. So I tried the heat gun and it came off like butter. Got half the rod done in 20 minutes. This place is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again for all your help.

Post 23 Feb 2023, 10:49 • #8 
Guide
Green scotchbrite pads are another great thing to use with citra strip and other strippers. They work hard to abrade the finish on the rod but not damage the underlying blanks. Just wanted to tack this on. Glad you figured it out.

New Topic Add Reply