It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Feb 2023, 18:11 • #1 
Master Guide
Does anyone have experience with Cerecoil stripping guides? I believe they’re pretty new to the market and a few major rod companies are using them on saltwater rods. They look interesting, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone use them on lighter weight rods (~5wt and under). I ordered a 10mm black pearl Cerecoil to try on an NFC 764 build, but just in case I also ordered a 9mm Mildrum, which has been my go-to for lighter weight builds.

Post 11 Feb 2023, 19:04 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Is that like a recoil guide with ceramic ring?

Honestly not sure if anything revolutionizing or new under the marketing sun.

Post 11 Feb 2023, 19:41 • #3 
Master Guide
Yep, it’s a Recoil stripping guide with ceramic insert. I like the idea of the durability/flexibility of the standard Recoil guide combined with the smoothness of a ceramic insert. Seems like a modern, minimalist option that I haven’t seen used on lighter rods. Allegedly, the ceramic insert can be replaced if it breaks without requiring replacement of the entire guide.

Post 11 Feb 2023, 20:18 • #4 
Sport
I'm using a pair on an 11wt saltwater rod that I haven't finished yet. I think the ones I have are titanium with the ceramic insert. I never compared to see if they are lighter than traditional saltwater stripping guides but, I think they were cheaper than like Fuji top of the line traditional titanium guides?
Chris

Post 13 Feb 2023, 20:24 • #5 
Guide
I have used them on several builds and like them. Some of the distance caster’s complain about line wrap, but I haven’t experienced that.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 21:24 • #6 
Sport
I’ve also used them on a handful of trout rods incl. euro rods and they are good, and I like them
I especially like the black ones best for trout , CSGB double and single foot CSPGB in conjunction with
RSGB recoils (no ceramic as used on Loomis nrx Lp ) as two strippers

(I do this so the fly is connected to the second stripper without ceramic to avoid damaging it and the leader is fully out from the tip top , ready to cast, I don’t use a hook keeper).

And then single foot recoils RSFXB, finishing with tiptops

I haven’t damaged any Cerecoils in fishing, but did chip the ceramic first go when re positioning the guide after threadwork
I always have a spare in case

They aren’t quite as light as Fuji torzite, and they need a bit of grinding in prep.
REC could do well providing more info to the consumer ( I assume they provide this to rod makers)

I’m finishing off an 8wt 9’ in the titanium finish and they are classy

Post 02 Mar 2023, 21:43 • #7 
Sport
I used one on a 4wt build cause I like the utilitarian way it looks, and I believe you can replace the ceramic if it breaks, though I don't see that happening very easily and shy away from agates out of breakage concern.

I do agree that the feet need quite a bit of prep work to thin down to make wrapping easier, but aside from that, it's my new go-to for future builds.

New Topic Add Reply