It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:46

New Topic Add Reply
North Fork LMX "scales"
Post 09 Feb 2023, 21:29 • #1 
Sport
So, I know it's not a fiberglass blank, but I'm looking for some insight on a North Fork Composites LMX blank. I bought one recently and noticed that the outer surface of the blank isn't completely smooth. You can feel the edge of each successive layer of carbon as you run your fingers up from the butt end.
If somebody has built one of these before, can you tell me if this is by design, or did they miss a finish coat or something on my blank?
If you look really closely at the pic below, you might be able to see the ridges of carbon.
Thanks for any info!

Rich.

Post 09 Feb 2023, 21:56 • #2 
Master Guide
It’s by design, the ridges are from the binding tape, tape is removed after the oven cure, leaving the ridge pattern behind. If the blank manufacturer left the ridge, it is meant to be that way.
Sanded and coated blanks are more abundant, but plenty of blank/rod companies have unsanded blanks.
Build it out as is.

Some folks have difficulty wrapping these blanks, the ridge can present an issue with packing your thread so gaps don’t show up, take your time and have your thread tension right and it will wrap up just fine.

Post 09 Feb 2023, 22:13 • #3 
Sport
Thanks wjude, that's what I needed to know. Its the first carbon or graphite blank I've built, so it just seemed a little odd. And it did occur to me that wrapping over that surface might be tough, LOL.

Post 10 Feb 2023, 17:31 • #4 
Sport
Scott among others have unsanded blanks. I think they look quite nice and I love the texture. I’ve heard good things about those blanks, I hope it meets your needs.

Post 13 Feb 2023, 11:29 • #5 
Sport
I've built two rods on NFC fiberglass blanks so far, and have been very happy with the quality and the way they fish. This will be a saltwater rod, which is why I went with the graphite, so I'm hopeful that I'll be as happy with this one as the others!

Post 13 Feb 2023, 20:19 • #6 
Guide
They are pretty nice blanks. Definitely on the fast side. I fish mine with a +1 rated line. Pack on every wrap. You can’t move the wraps on the unsanded blank like you normally can.

Post 18 Mar 2023, 19:41 • #7 
Guide
Just saw this thread. I built out a North Fork LMX 10' 7 wt a while back. Lots of wraps and it fought me the whole way. I was never so glad to finish a rod. My suggestion would be to try B or C size thread. Its what I use on the spinning/baitcast blanks that have the same kind of ridges. I've used D also. The larger diameter thread slides easier over those ridges than A for packing. My 2 cents.

New Topic Add Reply