It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:46

New Topic Add Reply
Epic 888 reel seat
Post 18 Jan 2023, 17:13 • #1 
Good evening I am having an epic 888 built. I have said I'd like an up locking reel seat as all the photos I could find show that but I was wondering would the rod balance better with a down locking ( I guess it's all reel dependant?), It's having a small fighting butt fitted too.
Thanks for any opinions

Re: Epic 888 reel seat
Post 18 Jan 2023, 18:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Select one that can be mounted either way and decide for yourself. That's the best way to decide--rod in hand, trying the feel with intended reel(s), and with your prefered grip shape and length, and your chosen guide-spacing in place. If your builder is close by, it is easy to shim fit the reel seat temporarily for a try-session. For that matter--although your builder's advice might come first--anybody can glue on a reel seat, so if it were fit for you, the rod could then be provided complete except for gluing it on the reel seat in the position you decide on.

Post 19 Jan 2023, 23:19 • #3 
Guide
Its not quite as simple as is made to believe in the above statement. You have the bore inlet to contend with for the hood, whether you choose to mount up or down lock, You have to have the correct length protruding for the grip contingent upon reel seat length, also of concern is the length of the fighting butt to calculate the placement of the seat and the grip.

Post 20 Jan 2023, 13:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Oh, well said by SCR, and didn't mean to give any other idea. If you don't know how to fit select and fit components, you would need more detail from a vendor like SCR and/or your custom builder. The length of a reel seat, whether its upper hood is concealed by the cork if UL (as is the current fashion)--all affect feel, and all can be customized to user preference by a builder. All can be set up in a temporary try fit. Only the user can know which fits and feels best in hand. A hobby builder could also order two different seats--one UL and one DL--to try. Whichever isn't used will be just right for some future build anyway. But choosing a stock component and having it mounted in a stock position may be all the "customizing" you need--again with the advice or try options of your builder.

Post 11 Feb 2023, 15:56 • #5 
Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for the responses. Rod is built and on its way!

New Topic Add Reply