It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:03

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Dec 2022, 13:50 • #1 
Master Guide
In the mid-eighties I bought a fly rod from a PA shop that made their own brand of fly rods. It is an 8' 5 weight and it is higher modulus than IM-6. But it has 2 faults, and in retrospect I should have returned it before fishing it. First, it has stamped threads that are very wide. I had to constantly tighten it while fishing. Second, I never cared much for the taper. It's been sitting in a closet for a long time.

So I decided to make it into an ultra light casting rod by cutting off the grip and reel seat and pairing it with $9 pistol grip handle. It will be about 6 1/2' plus the length of the grip. The top guide and the stripper guide are round, the remainder are snake guides.

Will it cast OK with snake guides? Any other thoughts? I appreciate any input.

Post 25 Dec 2022, 14:28 • #2 
Guide
There is really nothing to guide the line in on the retrieve since the line will be on the rod and not suspended by the guides. It will probably still cast, but not with much efficiency

Post 25 Dec 2022, 15:26 • #3 
Administrator
Will it cast ok? The setup should work well enough to give you a feel for how the rod flexes and casts. It doesn't hurt anything to try it. Then strip off the snake guides, tape on conventional guides, and test cast some more. If you hate the way the setup feels at either stage, you can save yourself the trouble of rewrapping the rod (or wrap the guides as practice and give the rod to your brother-in-law).

Snake guides don't hold the line off the rod blank, so they won't give the same distance as casting guides. They also won't hold up as well as ceramics with braided lines or when used on dirty/silty water.

Tom

Post 25 Dec 2022, 16:08 • #4 
Master Guide
Thank you for the input. I didn't think about the snake guides in that respect, so I am canning that idea. I do have an old Zebco spinning rod that I bought for my son when he was a child that I could convert. However, I am hesitant to do that as I believe the guide inserts are plastic and would not hold up well to braided line, and I would have to figure out how to remove the grip. Sounds like I will just try to find a light action casting rod.

Post 25 Dec 2022, 16:38 • #5 
Administrator
Pictures always help.

The Zebco rod guides are probably thin ceramic rings embedded in plastic shock rings. They are inexpensive, but very functional.

Tom

Post 26 Dec 2022, 06:55 • #6 
Piscator
A problem you run into with casting rods - rings on top.
From the mid-length to the tip, a casting rod requires more guides. The reason, rings on top put torsion in the rod blank under fish load, and if that strain is concentrated in a small length, the rod breaks. More guides are needed to distribute the torsion over more of the blank length.
Casting rods need more guides in the upper half than spinning rods or fly rods, both of which flex in pure bending without torsion.
These are two nearly identical 8' rods, high-grade progressive finesse taper (Yamaga Blanks TZ Nano spinner and BC III bait), very similar to fly rods,
Spinning on top, casting on bottom, guide spacing in the top 20 inches.
I could do better in the daylight, but this gets the point across.

One way to get around it is spiral wrapped guides (most often used with conventional reels in offshore jigging and surf), which turn the guides to the bottom of the blank and eliminate torsion in the upper half of the rod.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 26 Dec 2022, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Dec 2022, 17:21 • #7 
Master Guide
Thanks everyone, I decided to buy a new rod. PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD.

Post 27 Dec 2022, 08:26 • #8 
Piscator
there remains some good discussion on this thread, and worthwhile information.
Making a finesse baitcaster out of a fly rod blank is a good idea.
It will work best starting with a clean sheet of paper and an unfinished blank.

Post 27 Dec 2022, 14:01 • #9 
Sport
I concur with bulldog1935, this is a good thread and the reading of it will answer questions and inform others as it did the OP. Improper to delete helpful efforts by members and deny other’s the benefit of those efforts.

(yeah, you can delete MY post here, but please keep the good stuff up there...thanx)

Post 27 Dec 2022, 15:36 • #10 
Master Guide
Sorry, I thought I was doing the right thing, but I do see the value to keep it.

New Topic Add Reply