It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:33

New Topic Add Reply
Lotic Winter Build
Post 15 Dec 2022, 11:06 • #1 
Guide
Earlier in the fall I purchased a 6'10" 3wt Thomas and Thomas Lotic from MB Custom Rods in Germany. I've heard a lot of good things about the 4 and 5 wt Lotics that I hope and assume will also be true of this 3 wt. Since the blanks aren't readily available, I figured it was worth the international shipping, plus $700 to get one directly from T&T is a bit beyond my budget (though I have no doubt they are worth it).

Anyway... here are some pics. Still deciding on the color way. I have a nice struble reel seat and insert with a custom shaped flor grade grip that I plan to use. Tested out some colors on the butt section as seen in the pics. Starting with the butt, the colors are CP tan tipping and almond, Light blue and metallic silver, pea soup and metallic red, gold fish and CP tan tipping.

I'm always amazed at how the thread colors transform depending on the blank color. I tried to see if I could match the T&T styling with the blue and silver, but the light blue darkened to essentially become the same color as the blank - not much contrast there. The green and red are a colorway that T&T used on some of their other rod models. But I think I ultimately might go with a combination of the almond, gold fish, and tan.

Re: Lotic Winter Build
Post 15 Dec 2022, 11:43 • #2 
Master Guide
Hello, I have the Lotic 7’10” 5 wt. and it’s one of the finest rods I have ever owned and I have wasted a lot of money on glass rods over the years. The build quality rivals the small boutique makers and the cork grip is flawless. The rod‘s casting range is amazing. It will throw a near perfect loop from 25 to 75’ with ease the thing continues to amaze me every time I fish it. I’m really surprised this series does not get more love.

Post 15 Dec 2022, 12:31 • #3 
Guide
that's certainly in line with what I hear about them too. I've honestly never even had the chance to lay my hands on a T&T rods. I'll have to seek out a fly shop that carry their rods. At any rate, I'm glad to have gotten a blank and look forward to seeing how it fishes.

Post 15 Dec 2022, 19:21 • #4 
Guide
I have a 744 home built Lotic and I think its pretty amazing. I am looking for a good deal on a factory 7105 but these rods never seem to go on sale. I think you will like your 3 weight, if its anything like the 4 weight I have you will find it will fish far and fine with a true to weight double taper or you could easily up line to a 4 weight for larger flies or in close work.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 12:02 • #5 
Sport
Two of the graphite rods I held onto after going glass are my custom 5 and 6wt T and T Helix’s
They are wrapped with the color scheme you have there on the butt section with sort of a maroon with gold trim. They look amazing and I think that’s one reason I kept them. Very nice color combo. For what it’s worth those are some of my favorite casting graphite rods of all time. I never see them for sale anywhere either so maybe others dig them too?

Post 16 Jan 2023, 18:02 • #6 
Sport
I am one who also only kept T&T commercially built rods in my quiver after starting to build my own. Sage, Loomis and Orvis are all gone. Sorry, never owned any Scott rods. Smart or dumb can be debated. What about a blue main wrap with red and green tipping? I once did a T&T Horizon 8 1/2' 5wt 4pc build with blue wraps and gold tipping and gold guides that my daughter now owns and fishes. Good luck with your choices.
Chris

Post 17 Jan 2023, 11:00 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
of the color combos presented, I like the "Goldfish/Tan" combo best on that blank;
but none really excite me.
Blue is a tough blank color to work with.
I wouldn't discount trying a straight Black on that blank, either. Could be nice, maybe....

Post 17 Jan 2023, 16:50 • #8 
Guide
I have a T&T Lotic 7'10' 5wt 3 piece glass rod and I agree with you, it is a great rod.
I also have a T&T Paradigm 9' 5wt 4 piece graphite rod and it is also a great rod.
This rod is very light in hand and feels as if it was made out of graphite!
I am very happy with both rods.

Post 06 Feb 2023, 13:44 • #9 
Guide
didn't notice when these last few replies came in a while back. My bad. I still haven't been able to commit myself yet one this rod.

Corlay... I agree that none of these colors are exciting me. Maybe straight black. Here's a build that has always caught my eye by Leiderman - he says it's blue nylon but it looks almost black to my eye.... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=66229&p=351126&hilit=lotic#p351126

csmielke... I like the idea of the blue/red/green. I may strip the test wrap section and try that combo to see what it's like.

Anyway... we'll see where it ends up

Post 18 Jun 2023, 11:16 • #10 
Guide
Finally. I finished this build from the winter. Doesn't help when the rod slips off the drying rack after I left it and I ended up with a bulge of uneven epoxy. Then life gets in the way, yada yada. Still haven't had a chance to fish it yet. But it lawn casts nicely.

6'10" Lotic 3wt by Thomas and Thomas. Went for a simple build of blue wraps tipped tan at the signature area and ferrules. Struble reel seat. Snake brand guides.

Post 18 Jun 2023, 12:41 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great! I have cast the 4wt of the series and I'm jealous I don't own one.

Post 18 Jun 2023, 23:17 • #12 
Sport
Great Job, a really nice clean look.
Chris

Post 20 Jun 2023, 08:48 • #13 
Master Guide
Nice build! The blue wraps and tan trim look great with the reel seat you used. I’m not sure I would have thought to use tan trim on a blue blank, but the tan reminds me of the color of leather matched with blue/navy clothes - very classy.

Post 20 Jun 2023, 16:43 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Excellent build. The finish work looks great. It's nice and clean all around.

Post 24 Jun 2023, 14:31 • #15 
Master Guide
Man that is sharp. I have a T&T heirloom glass built by Kancho. Was featured in a blog post by Cameron on TFM: http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot. ... -rods.html

It is probably my most beautiful rod but also a casting and fishing machine.

Kudos.

New Topic Add Reply