It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:12

1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Winter Builds, 2022-23
Post 06 Dec 2022, 19:51 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi Guys! Is it too early? Im looking forward to seeing what everyone builds this winter. I have just received the last of the components for my two projects, a Troutsmiths 7034 and a sister Troutsmiths 7645.

What does everyone have in the works this winter?

Post 06 Dec 2022, 22:57 • #2 
Master Guide
It’s never too early! Can’t wait to see your Troutsmith builds, and I’ll be interested to hear which line you like on the 4/5. I’m considering either a 6’6” to 6’9” 3wt or 8’ 4wt for my next build sometime in the next few months. I’ll post updates when I finally decide which blank to build.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 08:09 • #3 
Master Guide
Ooh. My FF70-4, which is my main rod, is actually about 6'9". A very useful length down here. Not that there has ever been anything wrong with an 8' 4wt! A great trout rod and a great spring panfish spawn rod.. I think either will be great.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 08:34 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I’m excited to see what you guys finish out this year. Deep winter came six weeks early for us, at the beginning of November, so I’m already a bit stir crazy.

I have a Barclay Parabolic 8’ 4-weight in the queue. I’ve never fished a parabolic rod, so it should be really interesting to try out.

I also have some Livingstons, all Western Glass. The first is a matching pair of 6-weights for a good buddy and me. These will be our all-purpose trout rods and boat rods. The second is the 4-weight, my all-time favorite rod. I have one that is being used by others now, and I want one with a better grip. I didn’t build the first, and it’s too sentimental to change anyway.

I also have a few inserts that went bad after I fished them. The finish came off quickly in the water. So I am working on restoring these.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 11:34 • #5 
Master Guide
I’ve got at least 3 winter projects but I’m not starting until the new year.
6’6” yellow Lamiglas 5 wt
8’ 5wt JK Fisher
8’6” conolon “ candy cane” blank
I really don’t need any new rods but I enjoy building.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 13:19 • #6 
Guide
I got 6 rods I can work on this winter:

3x NFC 7.5' 4wt iconoglass. One for my son, two for friends.
1x NFC 8' 6" 8wt green iconoglass. Building a larger, heavier glass rod for big western fish on the drift boat
1x Dale Clemens 8' 6/7wt 2 piece blank. Translucent rod blank, gorgeous. Have to build this out, been sitting a while.
7.5ft 4/5wt Mark Fitch bamboo rod rebuild. Have some guides I need to redo on this rod. May take it all the way back down to a blank a re wrap. Happy Winter thread!

Post 07 Dec 2022, 13:29 • #7 
Master Guide
I've got 2 to work on. An 8' Berkley Spartan, and a 7 1/2' JC Higgins.

Bruce

Post 07 Dec 2022, 20:45 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
cheffy wrote:
I really don’t need any new rods but I enjoy building.

This perfectly describes my situation too. I am now looking to find reasons to build for others just so I can keep building rods.

Post 07 Dec 2022, 20:53 • #9 
Master Guide
I need more mid weight short trout rods like a need a hole in my head.. but building rods and getting to fish them with the satisfaction of of catching a fish you found, on a fly you tied, with a rod you built... you get the idea.

Post 08 Dec 2022, 09:31 • #10 
Guide
I totally resonate with not needing any more rods but love the process of building new rods. The collector side of me is at odds with the minimalist side of me.

As far as my winter projects, I have three that I'm planning.

1) Thomas and Thomas lotic 6'10" 3 wt. I think I scored the last blank from mb customs rods in Germany. It was worth the international shipping.

2) Steffens 8' 4/5 from Shane with a mortised reel seat.

3) 9' 6wt Steffens graphite blank also from Shane. I have hope of at some point getting the ffi casting certificate, and want to get it with a rod that I built.

Joel

Post 08 Dec 2022, 19:32 • #11 
Sport
I will also be building a Troutsmiths 7034 this winter, hope to get it going right after the new year.

1st build, looking forward to it!

Post 08 Dec 2022, 22:32 • #12 
Guide
Never too early to plan for winter builds.

In August I committed to a special order 834-3 blank from a local blank maker. The bottom end components have been prepped and dry fit. Still sorting out complimentary thread colors. I had all other hardware in stock, including an original issue Struble U-20 dark nickel reel seat skeleton.

Update: Bottom end of this rod was bonded in place over the weekend, today I wrapped everything but the ferrule wraps.

Finished first project. Likes my Cortland 444 DT4 line out on the lawn.

Second project is a Kenney 824. Quite a bit to do here. Cork rings are glued up and inlet cut. REC nickel silver skeleton is on order but still need to turn and finish a couple reel seat inserts.

Third project came up. Black ********* blank from their CTS blank days. Three piece 864-3 blank (actual length was 8’5-1/8”) that I shortened to 8’3” (equal length sections). Gathering up components and have a nice Bubinga insert on hand.

Update: An upcoming seventeen day vacation has me proceeding with the second and third projects simultaneously. Yesterday I turned candidate reel seat inserts for these two projects and was able to get initial, about a dozen, oil-modified urethane applications done. The green dyed big leaf maple will now replace the previously selected Bubinga insert on the black CTS rod. Dark nickel hardware and green/black Jasper thread will be used on this rod.

I'm hoping to have the glued cork rings shaped into grips, and both bottom ends dry fit before vacation. Still waiting for reel seat skeletons for these rods to arrive in the mail.

Last edited by PENZZZ on 03 Jan 2023, 07:48, edited 4 times in total.

Post 08 Dec 2022, 23:01 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I'm looking for a project. A vintage glass blank, cosmetic blems OK; or a beater vintage glass rod in need of TLC/makeover.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 10:40 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I have a "quirky" winter build project lined up - components all received this week.

Building a one piece "bomb proof" (read: if it gets broken I won't be out big $$$) rod off an SPG ("Tadpole") blank. Targeting the very tough landlock salmon fishing I do each November - small stream, wood everywhere in the water and the air. Need a short rod that can handle bow and arrow casts with weighted flies and other unnatural ways of getting flies in front of fish, and then fighting 20"+ fish in current.

This is one of my favorite things about rod building - having a specific situation in mind and building specifically to that situation, hopefully perfectly!

Should be interesting!

Post 09 Dec 2022, 14:08 • #15 
Master Guide
That sounds extremely interesting. Im not sure Ive seen a tadpole build since Joining the board. My tendency to use pack rods has kept me away from the tadpole, but I have seen people ferrule them into 2 section rods.

What line weight do you think your rod will end up liking? Im certainly looking on with much interest

Post 09 Dec 2022, 19:17 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I've feruled them before, but I find ferules get loose when bushwacking, roll casting weighted flies, etc. And where I fish is an easy drive from where I live, so no need to break down, so one piece fits the bill.

I've built tadpoles on this blank before (SPG780) and have been comfortable casting a 6 weight line on it. May up-line to a short head 7 weight for this kind of fishing. It'll be a lot of fun experimenting!

Blank is 6'6" - I'll add another 6" or so at the base as I've done before, so it'll be around 7' when done.

Post 09 Dec 2022, 21:02 • #17 
Sport
Joel,
Any intel you can share on the Steffen's 9' 6wt graphite? I am contemplating that blank but, can't find anyone who has fished it or reported on it. Looks like Shane has brought the blanks back into production after they were discontinued. Not sure what if any updates he has made.
Thanks
Chris

Post 10 Dec 2022, 14:23 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Jalthoff, if you want to go a little heavier line weight on a 780, I would suggest trying a 781. It makes a nice 7/8 fly rod either 6'6" or 7'0." I no longer build one piece 7"0" spg's if the mail is involved-it is just too expensive. I suggest to clients they go for the 6'6" or a 2 piece 7'0".
John

Post 11 Dec 2022, 11:06 • #19 
Guide
I have a closet full of potential projects but will commit to:
1. ********* 866.
2. Steffen Graphite 864
Looking forward to seeing everyone’s evolving progress!

Post 12 Dec 2022, 09:13 • #20 
Guide
In response to Chris above, I honestly can't comment much on it at this point. I haven't built out the blank yet so I haven't been able to cast it. I will say, I do like the cosmetic style of the un-sanded blank and the sanded ferrule ends. The flex profile in my hand seems good. When I put the rod together and give it the old false-cast, it definitely bends into the second section for a nice medium fast action which is what I was looking for.

I'll post updates or send along other intel as I go along and eventually cast it. I plan to build it trout-style with a 6 1/2 inch grip, down locking reel seat, and no fighting butt in order to maximize the entire 9' length.

Post 13 Dec 2022, 08:43 • #21 
Sport
Thanks, I will watch for your update following the builds completion.
Chris

Post 13 Dec 2022, 11:40 • #22 
Sport
csmielke wrote:
Thanks, I will watch for your update following the builds completion.
Chris

I have one that Mark built from '85. No idea if what you have was rolled on the same mandrel with the same modulus graphite but Joel is correct..........Med/Med fast progressive action, flexes well into the butt section to be fun with a fish on but enough power in the lower third to handle light streamer work and longer casts if needed. Here is a link with a few pictures of the rod I own.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54751

Post 13 Dec 2022, 11:47 • #23 
Guide
Yep... it's all the same mandrels that Shane acquired when he took over for the Steffens.

Post 13 Dec 2022, 12:09 • #24 
Sport
JShenk_615 wrote:
Yep... it's all the same mandrels that Shane acquired when he took over for the Steffens.

That I understand but what I'm not sure of is if Mark changed the taper back in the day after this rod was built in '85. 35 years is a long enough time frame to wonder despite the Steffens primarily rolling glass during that time.

Post 13 Dec 2022, 16:36 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe Shane would comment; he would be the best source, short of Steffen. Same mandrels don't necessarily make the "same" rod if the prepreg or pattern is different. Quite possibly, what was used 35 years ago isn't even available, although something quite like it probably is. None of that means it won't be a good rod very much like the original, even if, of necessity due to supply, something had to be changed, even a minor process change.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply