It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:07

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Dec 2022, 22:08 • #26 
Sport
Will be working on a couple Moonlit blanks here in the next couple weeks, the 8'2" 6wt and the 8' 5wt. I don't have any idea what to expect with these blanks as I've never handled one but they were recommended by a friend who knows that I prefer a slightly faster glass.

Post 13 Dec 2022, 22:13 • #27 
Master Guide
Robow- Im looking forward to casting notes! Ive been curious about those blanks for a while!

Post 14 Dec 2022, 07:51 • #28 
Guide
I might have some I could wrap. I have a one piece 7wt and a 5wt Lamiglass I should sit down and start to build. Maybe this will motivate me to start the build

Post 14 Dec 2022, 17:11 • #29 
Guide
I put in an order for a couple Kenney blanks, his 733 and 794, but Larry said they won’t be shipped until March. So, that leave me looking for a 6wt to build up over the winter. Looking hard at the McFarland GTX…

Post 26 Dec 2022, 17:34 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I scored a vintage Lamiflex Blank from a forum member. Psyched!

Post 26 Dec 2022, 17:39 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
I've been away from rod building for a bit, but I'm getting ready to start kitting up some rods. There are some rods in need of repair and some new blanks calling to me.

Right after I restock my fly box.

Post 26 Dec 2022, 20:43 • #32 
Master Guide
I’m pretty geeked about my Winter build.
Found out the blank I picked up is a Fisher 8’ 5wt.
Now I’m into the planning stages
Snake universal guides
Fenwick or cigar style grip
Garrison style downlocking seat with burl insert
Ferrule ring
Garnet thread tipped in medium grey

I’m making a list for my local pusher I mean parts supplier

Post 27 Dec 2022, 06:57 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet!

Post 27 Dec 2022, 12:33 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Everyone has such fascinating blanks to build-out this year. This winter I am going to finish that heavy South Bend tobacco glass blank I started last year. Every time I start work on this rod, I get a commission, and it goes back into the someday pile, so I don't loose either way. However, it needs to get done. :)

Post 29 Dec 2022, 18:51 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Hello John, as always it's great to see you're joining the fun. What an eclectic group of cool (no pun intended) winter glass projects. I'm just finishing a couple of fly rods for my buddy's shop, and hope to start the Lamiflex project next week.

Post 31 Dec 2022, 20:17 • #36 
Sport
BrookieBoy wrote:
Robow- Im looking forward to casting notes! Ive been curious about those blanks for a while!

Since there isn't a bunch of information available on these Moonlit Lunar S-glass series of blanks, I'll give you my thoughts when I get them wrapped up.

Post 11 Jan 2023, 23:45 • #37 
I just finished up the guide wrappings for the 3 builds that I'll complete this winter. I need to do dust control and then do the flex coat epoxy finishing. I hope to be able to post some good resolution photos when they are done. It's nothing expensive - a Batson Rainshadow graphite 6.5foot 2 weight and 2 fiberglass rods from GBflyshop on EBay. One is a honey yellow 7.5 foot 4 weight and the other an orange 6 foot 1 weight. They should come out nice if I can pull off good applications of the flex coat. I love the budget blanks - my casting abilitiy does not warrant a large expense.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 14:40 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Finally made some progress on my "use-specific tadpole" - added a 6" stint to bring it to 7 feet, added an old reel seat and cork handle I had in my pile.

Happily it's going to balance perfectly with Medalist 1494 1/2, which is great because that reel is bomb proof, just like this rod will be.

Chose a cool Fuji stripping guide in a style I've used before. No particular utility to the style, I just somehow like how they look. I think I first saw Chform post rods on here using them, but not sure.

Anyway, hope to finish wrapping over this long weekend, which should be doable as there are no Patriots games to watch LOL!

Post 14 Jan 2023, 15:28 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
I love it! Great progress there. -John

Post 14 Jan 2023, 21:09 • #40 
Master Guide
Looking good and great job re-using old components!

Post 15 Jan 2023, 13:18 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
Finished wrapping, which is good because I needed to wrap on the dining table due to my work space not being wide enough to deal with a 7 foot one piece rod, and my patient wife might not have been so happy to see me take over the dining room table for my mess! Luckily I do have a spot I can throw the rod for varnishing the wraps.

It's a simple build in the end, but I'm a simple guy - this rod is going to come in at way $100 all if for components, and I'm a sucker for garnet & black.

Really making me long for next November when I can take it bushwacking for these puppies, on its designated stream!

Post 15 Jan 2023, 16:17 • #42 
Guide
A personally built rod and personally tied flies - and the trout. Great story in the making. One that, like others, will last a lifetime.

Jeff

Post 20 Jan 2023, 09:51 • #43 
Sport
My second ever build is nearly finished, it's a CTS Quartz 376. Solid colour - Lime that looks kinda weird if you ask me.
Not that I don't like it, it's just... well, weird.

It's offseason (close fishing) here so I must wait until March to fish it, which will make this a very long February.

Post 20 Jan 2023, 10:50 • #44 
Master Guide
The 8ft 6in GTX 6wt is a very versatile rod! Very comfortable tossing dries to rising trout with a true to weight dt6f line as well as handling sink tip lines 6.75wt int lines and 6+wt bass taper lines and streamers/bass bugs. Super light in hand too!

Post 20 Jan 2023, 13:55 • #45 
Master Guide
MM84, Looks real good for your 2nd build!

Post 20 Jan 2023, 15:55 • #46 
Guide
MM 84 what is the cap and ring hardware you used on the reel seat? looks good!!

Post 20 Jan 2023, 16:22 • #47 
Sport
Paramount51, Thanks.

MRJesse34, It's Lemke C14, smoky nickel.

Post 21 Jan 2023, 21:11 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Here's what I've been up to over the last few weeks. First, I got sidetracked repairing some reel seats. Some of the wood inserts I bought over the last couple of years weren't finished properly, and they started developing cloudy, white sections. I assume water was penetrating the finish and causing the damage. The first picture below is one of the worst, and it got to the point that I couldn't see much of the figuring that drew me to the insert in the first place. The second shows a recent build that was only fished twice. The line is where my reel's foot contacted the insert.

So, what to do? I was refunded the cost of the reel seats, but I liked several of the wood pieces. I tried to carefully disassemble each affected rod. I damaged the grips on two of the rods, which meant they had to be replaced. Thankfully, I had already been contemplating redoing the cork on both since the grips weren't quite working that well anyway. So, no loss there but time. I couldn't get the wood off of a couple of others, and for those I decided to try covering the hardware with painters tape while I sanded the old finish off and reapplied new finish. Then I followed PENZZZ's method on all the inserts, which he describes here, except that I used Minwax's Tung Oil Finish. Here's an insert still in process, and here are three finished, with varying levels of sheen. I did the top one last, and that's what I'll be shooting for in the future.

Here's the new grip on my Western Glass 5-weight, much more comfortable. I've settled on a modified Winston-style cigar (or, at least that's what they call the shape) as the best fit for my hands in the 3-5 line weights. I just need to redo the signature section (another casualty of the different grip shape), and this rod is finished.

In the meantime, I've been working on a much less exciting build of a Barclay Parabolic 8'0" 4-weight. No real complications here. The last coat (I hope) of finish is on the tip. I just need to touch up a couple of wraps and write out the signature. Soon, I'll finally be on to the next projects.

Post 21 Jan 2023, 21:41 • #49 
Guide
Very nice work GR, I suspect the original “finish” on your reel seats was cyanoacrylate.

Post 22 Jan 2023, 09:57 • #50 
Sport
Really nice work! I love that grip shape and quality and have been searching for a source for a project I am working on. Do you make your own or would you mind sharing your source?
Thanks
Chris

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply