It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:20

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Mar 2023, 15:22 • #101 
Glass Fanatic
Mr. J, happy to share how i do it.
Once wraps are done, checked for cross-wraps, burnished, and free from dust, I apply a thin coat of spar varnish -- just enough to saturate the thread.
now it needs to dry for at least 48 hours -- more, depending on humidity and temperature.
next, any remaining tag ends are trimmed and another thin coat of varnish applied. i might do as many as six coats of varnish.
let it dry for three or more days between coats.
when you have the thread wraps varnished to your liking let it dry again for three, four, or more days.
next, inspect to make sure everything - the entire blank -- is dust and lint free.
i don't have a dip tube tube, so i then 'baste' the entire rod from the top end of the grip to the tip top to coat it in thinned varnish.
now it dries for three or four days.
take it down and inspect the finish for any missed spots, streaks, dribbles, overruns etc.
next comes the first part of the polishing phase.
i start by hand rubbing the finish. yes, by hand. if there are any high spots, blisters blemishes, work them out by rubbing between your fingertips to warm and soften the finish.
rub it out until the entire blank finish is blemish free and smooth.
then, using a soft, lint free cloth, apply a mild abrasive polish, working over the entire rod.
buff to a luster and you're done.
i'm not a pro, so i usually end up with a few trouble spots. this "polishing" process is simply my way of addressing any flies in the ointment.

Post 23 Mar 2023, 07:08 • #102 
Guide
Picketpin - excellent info. Thank you for such a detailed write up!

Post 16 Apr 2023, 19:29 • #103 
Master Guide
My goal was to finish up the Winter projects before opening day. I finished with two weeks to spare.
8’ Fisher blank. The grip was already instarso I decided to keep it. I had the insert wood kicking around for a bitand decided to use it. I would have liked a bit more figuring but what the heck. Think it may look good with an Ocean City 76

Post 25 May 2023, 22:32 • #104 
Glass Fanatic
I know it’s not winter anymore, but it stayed that way here until we jumped straight to summer. I made sure to finish up the two Living ston 866 Western Glass rods and get them in the water. Here is my rod, pictures taken after I’ve caught some fish with it. The other is identical except for the grip and reel seat, but I didn’t get a chance to take any pictures. Copper ProWrap, copper metallic accents, maple burl insert from Ray Lee, Lemke LC7, and a grip I shaped myself.

Post 25 May 2023, 23:30 • #105 
Master Guide
Nice work!

Post 26 May 2023, 07:25 • #106 
Sport
Great work

Post 26 May 2023, 08:50 • #107 
Master Guide
Looks great, Glacier. That will make a fine streamer rod. I’d like to pick your brain sometime on your inscription process.

Post 27 May 2023, 12:03 • #108 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks. Although, this rod is delicate enough that I'll use it primarily for big dries, dry-dropper rigs, lakes, and the windy days we get out West. Streamers are certainly in its wheelhouse, but I'll step up to a 7 or even an 8 if I want to seriously fish those. It will handle small dries surprisingly well.

For the signature, I lay down a thin base coat of epoxy. This isn't necessary on sanded blanks, but on unsanded ones, it creates a smooth surface for writing with a calligraphy nib. I've moved to India ink over Testor's model paint, which gives a much more consistent result. I let the ink dry for 24 hours, coat the writing with nail polish just incase I get a negative reaction, sand everything lightly, and put another coat of epoxy on top to protect it. With India ink, I can wipe off a couple of times (I use Everclear) if I don't like how the signature turned out. Just do it quickly and make sure to get everything.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 New Topic Add Reply