It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:16

New Topic Add Reply
Trim Wrap Trick
Post 28 Nov 2022, 11:12 • #1 
Master Guide
Hello,

I thought I might share a little trim wrap trick I have been using lately. It involves using a secondary tie off loop that is placed in the main wrap. One can use the loop to secure both ends of the trim wrap if you wrap towards the main wrap, but I find myself messing with the trim wrap too much when I do this. It’s just faster for me to cut over-wrapped side tag end with a razor.

Anyways, it goes something like this. To illustrate, I used the wrap above the winding check. I am using size A nylon. Here is the tie off loop for the trim wrap positioned in the main wrap.

Then I tape down one side of the thread to the rod to secure it, wrap open spirals down to the main wrap, and make the necessary wraps over the tie off loop. I am doing a 4 turn trim wrap here. It should look something like this (at this point in the picture I also already cut the thread).

Cut the thread, insert the cut side into the loop, and draw tight where you just see a wee bit of the loop hanging out.

Remove the tape on the upper end. Then begin to slide the trim wrap into position. But don’t cut the tag end yet.

Once the trim wrap is in place, you can pull on the ends to tighten the wrap up if needed. But, be careful pulling on the overwrapped thread end, because if you don’t pull it in the right direction it will cause it to unwrap a bit. Cut the excess thread at the tie off loop that is just peeking out. Pull on the tie off loop to position the cut end under the main wrap. It should look a little something like this.

Then use a razor blade or similar to cut the over wrapped tag end. In this example, I was using A nylon and made a 4 wrap trim band. When I use silk, I use Pearsall’s gossamer thread as it is finer for doing the trim wrap and take 6 turns. You can wet it to make it a little less slippery as well.

Happy building!

Re: Trim Wrap Trick
Post 28 Nov 2022, 21:36 • #2 
Guide
ffftroutbum, thanks for this, it's a great tip!

Post 30 Nov 2022, 04:32 • #3 
Master Guide
What is the advantage of this method vs. just doing a 4-turn trim wrap in the usual way? It seems like you've got an extra bump under the main wrap from the pull-through.

I agree that 4-turn wraps with Gossamer are the way to go, wetting the thread as you suggest.

--Rich

Post 30 Nov 2022, 16:25 • #4 
Master Guide
Hi Rich, there will be a bump from the thread being pulled threw just like normal thread being pulled threw at the end of the any wrap. But it will not be noticeable after the finish is applied.

The two big advantages is that the trim wrap it far more stable and the risk of it unraveling is greatly reduced. The other advantage is that cleaner and you don’t have mess with that pesky little cut thread nub that one can never seem to get with the razor. Give it a try, you might like it too. Not sure I will be going back to the old way.

I was messing around today with it today. And one could use a similar technique to do a 1 wrap trim wrap with 2 loops although I am not sure I ever would. 3 turns is about the least I would ever like to do.

Post 01 Dec 2022, 08:38 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have a rod with wraps done like this, and the trim's tag is highly visible beneath the main wrap. The combination of an understated main thread color with an eye-catching, colorful trim thread didn't turn out well because of this. Perhaps if you're doing color-preserved thread, this would work fine.

Post 02 Dec 2022, 01:09 • #6 
Master Guide
GB, I think it would depend on the type of thread, blank color, and finish used. It may be a good idea to do test wrap as a best practice depending on what you are doing. In this case, I am using Prowrap size A and epoxy. Prowrap seems to retain a fair amount of its color even when epoxy is used. Far more than some of the older nylons I have used. In this case, one can not see the yellow end pulled threw. The bump of the pull threw is somewhat noticeable if you look very closely, but it is no more noticeable than any other pull threw.

Do I think this technique would be great for say a lighter blank with a lighter colored silk (silk turns more transparent than the Prowrap), a dark trim wrap , and finished with a spar or epoxy? Probably not, but I would probably try a test wrap if I was really interested in that combo.

For me, I used to really sweat it with a 6 turn trim wrap. I hated doing them. With this technique, even a 3 turn trim wrap does not get my blood pressure up. I once even shipped an unfinished wrapped rod to a friend. All of the trim wraps survived and were in perfect order. They were even still fine when the finish was applied weeks later. Not sure I would have tried that with traditional trim wraps.

New Topic Add Reply