It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:30

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
1 piece rod blanks?
Post 11 Nov 2022, 18:02 • #1 
Guide
I’m sure there isn’t much of a demand for this…. I just can’t think of any 1 piece rod blanks to build up. I’m sure during the rolling process the blank starts out at one piece before it’s cut or ferrules are added. There are times we’re I think this would be a pretty cool custom build.

Does anyone know of any 1 piece glass blanks?

Re: 1 piece rod blanks?
Post 11 Nov 2022, 18:31 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Do a quick search for "tadpole" on this site, it should give you an idea where to start.

Post 11 Nov 2022, 20:06 • #3 
Guide
I’ve heard of them before… I haven’t seen any one who has actually built one up yet. I’ll do some digging. Anyone else have any options?

Post 12 Nov 2022, 00:08 • #4 
Administrator
Look in our For Sale section at the Lamiglas blanks listing.

Very few makers start with a one piece blank anymore. Tip over butt ferrule blanks are made from separate short blanks. Spigot ferrule blanks are often made from a one piece blank. That said, many of the Steffen Brothers designs were for spigot ferrules, so call Shane at Graywolf and ask him. Shipping might not be pretty.

Tom

Post 12 Nov 2022, 05:46 • #5 
Guide
I’m currently in the process of trying to pick up those blanks in the B/S/T forum!

I think I’m fairly local to Shane as well! Might be worth shooting him a message.

Thank you

Post 12 Nov 2022, 09:32 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I too would be interested in 1 PC rods in 7.5 or less.I do not understand why a 6 foot rod is 4 pieces.I go fishing with my rods strung up and with a fly already tied on.All my carbon bass rods are 1 piece .I wish I had purchased the whole line of Cabelas prime rods when they were available .The 3wt 6 foot is the most fun rod I own for calm days A 6 inch bluegill or a 5lb bass kind of rod .I have no problem hiking in the woods with 2 or 3 rods ready to go.

Post 12 Nov 2022, 09:44 • #7 
Piscator
I have a 7' Conolon Lee Wulff 2070 that was made to be cut,
but Andy built it for me as a 1-pc.
This rod will never be for sale.

Post 12 Nov 2022, 11:53 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Given the apparent absence of one piece blanks, make your own. I suggest you look for a 7ft yellow Fenwick FL (blank) two piece with a spigot ferrule. Strip it down, gently sand the spigot sufficient to allow the tip section to seat flush and completely cover the spigot. Epoxy in place. I did that several years ago, but cut the blank into a three piece. This particular blank is a nice soft action for a 5 wt.

Post 12 Nov 2022, 12:39 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The problem i have heard is that blanks made to be cut have a wee bit of thickness at the ferrule point?And even a spigot or in this case a stent would maybe cause a dead spot in the blank?I need something to do this winter besides working on my house .40 years in construction i am not real motivated this year to tear down walls etc.I have studied up a ton on rod building,i just can't be around epoxy.BD- weren't there some 1 pc versions of the GC Lee Wulff fly rods?

Post 13 Nov 2022, 09:09 • #10 
Piscator
6' Lee Wulff Conolon rods are 1 pc.
The I.D. of the 7' uncut blank is reinforced at the cut location, but the O.D. is continuous - the math says the reinforcement has Zero effect on the bulk modulus.
So no, No dead spot.
Certainly not when compared to a tip-over ferrule joint.

The next best thing to a one-piece blank is a spigot-ferrule joint. Also no dead spot, only added mass.

Post 13 Nov 2022, 10:31 • #11 
Guide
I need up messaging some folks to see if they could help out. So far no luck. I know CTS does custom rods. I wonder if they have the option to do so. However… Im sure that would be a pretty penny and Im not THAT desperate for one.

Besides the tadpole option, has anyone build a rod on a spinning blank? Just trying to explore different options

Post 13 Nov 2022, 19:33 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
6' Lee Wulff Conolon rods are 1 pc.
The I.D. of the 7' uncut blank is reinforced at the cut location, but the O.D. is continuous - the math says the reinforcement has Zero effect on the bulk modulus.
So no, No dead spot.
Certainly not when compared to a tip-over ferrule joint.

The next best thing to a one-piece blank is a spigot-ferrule joint. Also no dead spot, only added mass.

I am thinking but not knowing that some sleeved ferruled rods like later Phillipsons,tip over sleeve,Heddons butt over sleeve are cut blanks with the glass sleeve as the ferrule.Also Berkley rods fly and spinning are spigots with sleeves which makes me believe even more so that they are cut blanks and not rolled as 2 pieces.But you answered my question about maybe trying for a blank before it is cut and spigots added.The postage would be the same as any 1 piece carbon spinning or casting rod.I believe there was some posts i think here about a certain brand of UL glass spinning rods being converted to fly rods.I just don't know the process fore removing the spinning guides and the epoxied thread wraps.I don't see why you couldn't mount a fly reel on a spinning rod to see how it roughly would cast a fly line to see if it would be worth the trouble.I know there are some modern glass UL spin rods that are 5-6 feet 1 piece.

Post 13 Nov 2022, 20:28 • #13 
Guide
Mr. Hersh, you may be referring to this thread. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66365

Post 14 Nov 2022, 14:59 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I believe there were a couple others too.Repainting and the rest of the process seems a bit much for a cheapo rod.Might be able to find a 1 piece UL blank tho at one of the rod building houses.I have watched Matt at Proof vids on restoring cane rods.I have at least 20 tip sections and a few mid that are thinner than the average clunky cane production rods i have.I also have quite a few spools of vintage rod thread .A friend's dad was quite a tyer and cane rod builder and he sold or basically gave me a bubch of stuff.A nice little 6 foot cane rod might be fun.I would even be happy with 2 piece 7 or less in 2-3-4 weights.I have 2 that are 3 and 4 piece and they are a pain .They just wont stay together for me even after trying different fixes.Lost the tip section on one rod fighting a fish when the tippet broke out a ways.Not a great rod but was not cheap either and ruined my day catching giant redears.I was able to keep fishing with my 8wt but sure wasn't the same.

Post 14 Nov 2022, 15:43 • #15 
Guide
I have two Lami 8'2" yellow one pc blanks, looks like its meant for the last inch or two to be cut off, so 8' blanks that feel like 5/6wt. PM me if you are interested and I'm off to the Deschutes this coming Wed. Paul

Post 15 Nov 2022, 07:07 • #16 
Guide
the hersh wrote:
I have watched Matt at Proof vids on restoring cane rods.I have at least 20 tip sections and a few mid that are thinner than the average clunky cane production rods i have.I also have quite a few spools of vintage rod thread .A friend's dad was quite a tyer and cane rod builder and he sold or basically gave me a bubch of stuff.A nice little 6 foot cane rod might be fun.

We're getting a bit off track from the original 1-piece theme but...
It sounds like you've got the makings of an interesting "banty" rod project, like you could mix and match the tips and mids. Titebond lll would be an alternative for epoxy for the cork work, hot melt glue or old-fashioned ferrule cement for the ferrules, spar varnish for thread work. Or perhaps one of the tips would match a fiberglass butt section for a frankenrod, or...

Post 15 Nov 2022, 10:30 • #17 
Sport
I would take that guy up on his offer of 1 pc Lamiglas Blanks.

1 pc blanks are hard to find for sure.

Another option you might have is to contact a rod manufacturer and ask.
Just remember, shipping is expensive and shipping a 1 pc rod is expensive.

I'm not saying he can, but being in OH you could contact Mike McFarland and see if he could build you one. Then rather than pay for just shipping, drive across the border to PA to pick it up and fish a bit while you are here.

Not saying that will work but it is worth a shot.

Post 15 Nov 2022, 10:41 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Some blanks have ferrule stations with extra reinforcement; others don't. Either type can be cut-to-ferrule, the latter would be slightly more suitable as one-piece. Before selecting, though, ask yourself what you want to accomplish. There is a reason--more than one reason--one-piece blanks aren't in high demand. I'll guess that if you select one 7 feet or more, it will wind up ferruled sooner or later, even if built initially as one piece. Nevertheless, you have some very good leads here. The Lami (or if you locate a one piece yellow Fenwick) are promising, and could be built up as one piece. If you really want to do it, go for it while something is available.

Post 15 Nov 2022, 19:26 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Just not looking for another 5 or 6 wt.Looking more for modern glass in 2 3 or even 4 wt.My favorite 5 and 6 wts are 6 foot and 7 footers.I only fish 8 footers in 8 wt to throw bass bugs and they are a chore but get the job done and do it well .I feel even heavy glass rods are better tools than graphite for big bass bugs.And no bass or pike carp etc for that matter is going to break a glass rod .

Post 16 Nov 2022, 01:50 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
They make more one piece spinning and casting rod blanks than they do fly blanks, up to 9' at least, and some of those could work, if we knew which ones. Might look for spinning rod one pieces and then contact the maker whoever that is and ask for a recommendation. The spin casting rod that I once converted made a 6wt fly rod but an ultralight should carry a lighter line. I guess all the modern fly fishers fly to the water because the demand is for multi-piece rods. And making 4 or 5 short mandrels and doing all the cut out and lay up in short pieces is bound to be more economical for the manufacturer. Boat fishers on the other hand leave those long rods on the boat and never think of carry on bags for them.

Post 16 Nov 2022, 03:54 • #21 
Administrator
Trev wrote:
And making 4 or 5 short mandrels and doing all the cut out and lay up in short pieces is bound to be more economical for the manufacturer.
Probably more no than yes. Stocking more mandrels costs money (and I hear they are hard to get made). More short pieces means several lay up steps by the production staff - rods get rolled by experienced people. Experienced people cost money. Short blanks probably have fewer QC issues due to warping and twisting. Multipiece blanks don't need to be fitted for spigot or metal ferrules. If the rod company is lucky, they break even. Although, the multipiece blanks always seem to cost more...

Tom

Post 16 Nov 2022, 16:11 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
have been watching some videos on blank/rod making.The 2 that stood out were TFO in Korea and St Croix in Wisconsin.2 companies that produce quality rods IMO. So spigoted blanks are not cut from 1 piece? I have been trying to find some of the Cabela's Prime rods and not 1 has turned up in saved search in 2 years.I believe they were made up to 8' 8wts in one piece.My 3 and 4 piece rods are not reliable.They cast nice when they stay together.

Post 16 Nov 2022, 20:45 • #23 
Guide
I built out a pair of CTS Quartz 1 piece blanks this spring. They were 7'6" 7wts to be used on the Texas coast. My customer arranged for the blanks directly from CTS. Shipping was steep but my customer loves the rods.

Post 17 Nov 2022, 03:20 • #24 
To The Hersh - "They cast nice when they stay together."

Do you use ferrule wax on your multipiece rods? I love the stuff.

Post 17 Nov 2022, 07:17 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks guys-yes I have tried every thing suggested by members here.LÌKE Trev stated I nave no need for a 4 piece 6 foot rod.It is nice sock tube single foot guides.Casts beautiful. Had a very big bass bend it all the way under a dock after he ate the nice sized bluegill i had on.So it is tòugh .Just dont like constantly checking all the ferrules And Thanks for the heads up on CTS blanks.My situation is the same as ever tho.Lots of free time but limited funds.Not just for the blanks but for rod building supplies etc as I have never built a rod.Thinķ I will first try a shorty cane rod as I have a lot of what I need .

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply