It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Nov 2022, 12:14 • #1 
Guide
I've searched around some, but I haven't been able to find much discussion on this forum about low profile stripping guides. How does it impact fly rod and fly fishing performance? What are the advantages and disadvantages? When might you want to use a low profile stripping guide and when might you want to use more of a standard size?

Thanks

Post 09 Nov 2022, 14:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
not sure of the functional advantages and disadvantages of each,
but I (un-founded bias) strongly prefer low-profile.

So much so, that i often bend the feet, and spread the frame, of higher profile strip guides to make them sit lower. ;-)

Last edited by corlay on 09 Nov 2022, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Nov 2022, 17:41 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Line control in fishing--not casting--slightly favors small, low-profile guides that minimize slop between them and enable a straight line, stripping guide to tip-top, and roughly parallel, relative to the blank diameter, "line" of line when the blank is flexed. Larger/higher guides slightly favor distance. If your fishing isn't casting, go with a relatively low sitting guide such that its "top" ( the low point of the inner ring when the rod is in fishing position) is almost in line with the inner ring of the second guide (snake or ring) and so on. This gives one point where everything is lined up and ready to respond to hand and rod motions to mend the line, strip, twitch, and so on. In casting, gathering more gradually through two or three guides down to the "straight line" minimum size, might be preferable. In fishing, not so much. But again, as a practical matter, these are slight differences.

Post 09 Nov 2022, 17:52 • #4 
Master Guide
Mr. Shenk- I have my doubts whether a lower stripping guide makes a difference, since there is always an angle formed in the line by the fact that the rim of the reel sits so far above the axis of the rod. However I do like to arrange the rest of the guides so that they form a smoothly curved 'tunnel" or path for the line to flow through after it has passed by the first stripping guide, without any further kinks in the line path. I don't know if this makes any difference either except that it looks better to me. Bob

Post 10 Nov 2022, 08:14 • #5 
Guide
Ok...I think i follow. Interesting theory to digest. In practical terms, let's say I have an 8' rod with a 10mm kow profile stripping guide. What should be the sizes of my snake guides from butt to tip in order to maximize fishiness? I've often just used standard guide size recommendations, but I once read an article suggesting that you want to get from the stripper to you smallest guide size in as few "steps" as possible.

Post 10 Nov 2022, 09:01 • #6 
Guide
Really kinda need to know just what wt the build is for the appropriate running guides

Post 10 Nov 2022, 11:20 • #7 
Guide
meant to include that... 8' 5wt.

Post 10 Nov 2022, 20:23 • #8 
Guide
If it was my build, it would have a 10, 4, 2, and 1's the rest of the way out unless being in icy conditions, then I would replace the 1's with 2's

Post 17 Nov 2022, 13:55 • #9 
Guide
JShenk 615;
Good topic! I’ve pondered this stuff myself, thanks for bringing it up.
Whrlpool-thanks for the input on this. I found your tips on line control pertaining to either casting or fishing particularly interesting.

New Topic Add Reply