It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:51

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Nov 2022, 10:48 • #1 
Guide
I grabbed a 7' Wonderod FY-920 Purist the other day off of the auction site and when it came in, I was glad I paid short money for it. The grip is serviceable, but the butt cap was loose and came off. The wood dowel that it screwed into had detached from the glue. I think I can fix that with some advice, but thats not the issue with the rod that is beyond my limited skill.

The ferrule is miserable. Thats not to say it is all banged upon and nasty, it's just that the fit sucks. Slightly difficult to fit in, impossible to take apart, even after several cleanings. After one cleaning I put hot sauce oil on the male ferrule and then tried to assemble and disassemble. Made no difference in taking it apart. Still nearly impossible.

As an aside, I am impressed with how well the ferrules stood up. It took two people in a tug of war to pull it apart. This process cant be good, so I don't want to repeat it,. Any advice on how to service the ferrules to make the fit slightly better?

My first thought is to run a dremmel with steel wool to polish the inside of the female ferrule some.

I have no experience with this. any advice would be appeciated.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 11:05 • #2 
Administrator
Pictures of the problem parts would help. Have you cleaned the ferrules with solvent and Qtips yet?

Tom

Post 05 Nov 2022, 14:14 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I wouldn't want a dremel anywhere near a fly rod. I do like isopropyl and cotton for cleaning ferrules.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 20:18 • #4 
Guide
I used alcohol, goo gone and other solvents. The ferrules are clean, jus5 very very tight. I’ll try to get pics up.

Post 05 Nov 2022, 21:34 • #5 
Master Guide
Is the rod in really nice condition and showing age but very little actual use? Wondering if the ferrule was faulty from the start and prevented usage ........

Post 05 Nov 2022, 22:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I wonder if somebody hasn't coated ferrule with something. And like the man said, pictures would help. They use a couple different style ferrules.
I had a 8.5ft Wonderod Presidential that was absolutely beautiful, bought it from a gal who was getting rid of her dad's stuff. The male ferrule of the mid section had been sanded (the horrors!) and the ferrules were this great purple color, now with one down to aluminum. But it fit very well. At some point someone sanded it, must have been way too tight, as yours is.

Looking forward to more info and pictures

Post 06 Nov 2022, 07:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Keep cleaning. Rub hard, but not with an abrasive. If you can assemble the rod, fish it. If you can take it apart a few times, the fit may stabilize. If it doesn't, it is easy to replace. In fact, skipping the last desperate steps and replacing it to begin with would be the simplest.

Post 06 Nov 2022, 16:11 • #8 
Administrator
Ruff Hunter wrote:
I used alcohol, goo gone and other solvents. The ferrules are clean, jus5 very very tight. I’ll try to get pics up.

Some of the old chrome plated ferrules came from the factory very, very tight. Because chrome plating is comparatively hard, it is difficult to ease the fit. Once the chrome plate is breached, the underlying brass is much softer and cuts away faster. Relieving a chrome plated ferrule is probably not going to work. The better option might be installing new ferrules.

For help with posting photos, see the revised photo posting instructions.

Tom

Post 07 Nov 2022, 18:19 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
If the ferrules are of the anodized (black, most likely) aluminum type, they can give you a real headache. I’ve had success in cleaning the ferrule, inserting a loose tube of 1200 grit wet dry sandpaper into the female ferrule, spinning the sandpaper awhile, clean the female, check for fit, repeat. Tedious in the extreme, but it worked.

I wouldn’t use any power tool on it, you will suddenly end up with a very loose ferrule.

New Topic Add Reply