It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Oct 2022, 21:36 • #1 
Guide
Ok, let's say hypothetically, you're going to restore or refurbish an old glass rod-like a Fenwick or other classic type-that has those funky spiral wraps above the handle.
So, you could try to match the original, or make a similar pattern reminiscent of the old one-something that pays homage to the original without trying to exactly duplicate it, or get a sticker (label-whatever) of those particular spiral wraps.
First off-let me say that I don't think it's right to duplicate it exactly-especially if said rod is expensive, because that's like plagiarism, in my opinion-like copying a classic work of art. (I knew a rodbuilder that had hardware from a very old Hardy, and he told me he could duplicate it if he wanted to, but he had enough good character to never do that).
Secondly, how are spiral wraps done? Are there any decent tutorials on it? I suppose the best thing to do is just practice...

Last edited by oldriverman on 17 Nov 2022, 20:44, edited 2 times in total.

Post 25 Oct 2022, 14:54 • #2 
Master Guide
If you are talking about the style that is on say a Fenwick where the wrap is a bit wider. That is done with a pre braided wrap that is almost like a thin ribbon. I inherited several spools of it in various colors.
Other spiral wraps are done with several layers of thread. There are a bunch of tutorials on the wed. There are some crazy oatterns out there

Post 26 Oct 2022, 21:23 • #3 
Master Guide
I've re-wrapped several rods with spirals matching the originals using thread 1 size thicker than usual as it makes the spirals look "better" to me. Note that some rods with spirals have them running the same direction on either side of the guide, while others have them in different directions. I first took photos of all the guides for reference. Also, some tiptop wraps will originally include a spiral and others will not.

Post 31 Oct 2022, 20:31 • #4 
Guide
Cheffy-yes, I was talking about the fenwick style wraps. That’s awesome you inherited some of the pre braided wrap for those.
Springer1, thanks for the tips-that’s what I was hoping for-useful information, for sure!
It seems like there were other rods with those types of wraps-other than fenwick. Browning, Shakespeare, & Phillipson come to mind, but I may be wrong. Anyone know of any others?

Post 01 Nov 2022, 08:31 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Well sure. Spirals, braid, and mylar were common at the time. Spirals, in particular, carried over from its decorative and functional use on bamboo. With varnish, including on glass, if nothing else it offered a "soft edge" that took up varnish overruns. I can't think of the names, but various trade rods imitated/mimicked the Fenwick braid wrap.

Post 01 Nov 2022, 12:09 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 6ft, six piece South Bend that is a dead ringer for a Fenwick w the spiral wraps

Post 11 Nov 2022, 15:41 • #7 
Guide
Majicwrench,
Makes me wonder who actually manufactured those.

Post 11 Nov 2022, 19:35 • #8 
Administrator
oldriverman wrote:
Makes me wonder who actually manufactured those.

Just my opinion, but I would guess South Bend Tackle Co. Keith's rod is quite likely a decent stick, but the Fenwick aesthetics were being widely copied.

Let's use Oscar Wilde's phrase, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness." By the time Fenwick was at its peak, South Bend was no longer at the cutting edge. They were a cog in a giant conglomerate instead.

Tom

Post 13 Nov 2022, 16:53 • #9 
Guide
I’ve been searching the web for videos of original fenwick factory workers doing those decorative spiral wraps, but haven’t had much luck as of yet. However, I did find another discussion on this forum that brought some key points on what goes into making those wraps:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73029#p402391

Maybe there are others floating around somewhere…

New Topic Add Reply