It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Oct 2022, 16:47 • #1 
Guide
Hi Folks,
Specifically looking at the 8' 5 wt rods (4/5 in Steffen). Used for general trout fishing on medium sized creeks. 8-12" fish on average, sometimes up to 16" or so. Your thoughts on how the Iconoglass compares to the others re: true to line wt ratings, flex/stiffness, and fishability are greatly appreciated.

Post 16 Oct 2022, 18:08 • #2 
Master Guide
Kbobb,
I have none of the rods you mentioned, but I have an iconoglass 4wt and a steffen 8' 5/6.

I would say that the iconoglass is fairly quick and snappy, but not "fast" or "stiff". For me, its a true 4wt and likes a DT4 line. A 4wt rio creek overloads the tip and makes it bounce. This is an exceptionally light and accurate rod. It roll casts well.

My 8' 5/6 Steffen likes a 5.5 wf line, and most people seem to come to that conclusion. Something like a rio gold 5, or the mpx 5 are common favorites. Mine will tolerate 6 wt lines, but I think its a bit overloaded at that point. Not sure what a 4/5 would be like. The rod is astoundingly light, and manages to be slow and soft to cast while still commanding the lifting power to pull a DT6 type 3 sinking line with a big articulated streamer out of the water from 20ft away for a quick recast. I would have no qualms about fishing it for basically any trout situation where there is room to cast an 8' rod. Id imagine the 4/5 would also be a great all purpose trout rod.

For me, Id consider both the be good generalist rods, probably best suited for dries and hopper/dropper rigs. Between a steffen 8' 4/5, and an iconoglass 8' 5, id expect the Steffen to be slower and smoother.

Sorry for the rambling reply. Hopefully it helps some.

Post 17 Oct 2022, 12:28 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'll chime in that I'm interested in comparisons of the Iconoglass to the Epic 476 too. Several of the descriptions sound similar.

Post 18 Oct 2022, 21:14 • #4 
Master Guide
I haven’t fished any of the NFC Iconoglass series yet, but maybe I can add another piece to this puzzle. The Epic and McFarland GTX are faster tapers that seem more modern, for lack of a better word. The Steffen is closer to medium action to me and more of a classic progressive rod taper in a different class than the Epic and McFarland. Based on reviews of the Iconoglass, it sounds closer to the Epic/GTX style than the Steffen.

Post 22 Oct 2022, 01:31 • #5 
Master Guide
Kbobb,
Your from Pa and your not fishing a McFarland?? ;)
Dreamed and Designed in PA
Rolled and Baked in PA
Corked and finished in Pa
Tuned and tested on Pa waters

Buy the GTX you won’t regret it .
They’ve got punch but with great feel especially on the 8ft rods .

I have not held or cast one of the Shane/troutsmiths-built Steffens so I can’t speak to that rod .
They look sweeeeet though! :)

But between the iconoclass and a GTX
It’s no contest ..especially if you want a 5wt that leans 4 vs 6 (depending on your stroke)
You’ll need to over line the Northfork rod with a 6 wt line ..cuz it’s more a six in my opinion
The GTX feels to me like a true dead on 5wt .
The GTX 4wt is like a 4.5wt

Try the 8ft 4wt GTX if you get a chance .(it’s awesome)
I’m so stuck on the fence about the GTX 8ft 4wt or the 5wt ..(there just something special on these tapers)
In the end I’ll probably get both blanks at the Maryland show in the spring .

In the end I guess it’s how crispy do you like your rods ?
The Gtx is still Glassy to me the North Fork rods are more Graphitey ..

East Coast Represent!!!
Scotto ;)

Post 22 Oct 2022, 08:18 • #6 
Guide
Thanks for the posts - very informative and what I'm looking for.
I'm real heavy on 4 wts - 3 graphite 8' 4 wts, a Steffen 8' 3/4 and a kenney794 aong with a couple 7.5' 4 wts. So will look for a short 5 wt like the 8' GTX

- Ottobahn - what is the maryland show you are talking about? if I can get there and handle a GTX in person that would be great.

Post 22 Oct 2022, 09:44 • #7 
Master Guide
Kbobb I just sent you a PM on the show

Post 22 Oct 2022, 13:35 • #8 
Knob, I just started building and fishing glass rods late last year and have built both the 8 foot Steffen 4/5 and Iconoglass 5wt. I primarily fish the Deschutes in central Oregon which is pretty big water and both of these rods are right at home. I mainly cast dry dropper rigs using a #12 mini chubby followed by and #14-16 perdigon pattern with a 2.8-2.4 tungsten bead. In short, my experience is that the Iconoglass has just a little more power and stiffness compared to the Steffen but both do the job casting within the 25 foot range and are a blast when a big wild 14-16” Deschutes redside takes the fly. I use Cortland 444 Sykl 5wt line on both rods with a 9’ 5X tapered leader which is a nice setup for my style of fishing. The Steffen does feel a bit lighter but both are pretty much comparable when wading and casting relatively close to shore and around overhanging trees where the 8-foot length is an advantage. When I need to cast long distances I just grab my 9’ 5/6 graphite or trout spey. I gave the Iconoglass to my fishing partner so he can also experience the fun fishing with glass and has landed many trout with that rod this season. I recently purchased another 5wt glass blank from North Fork Composts to build one for myself. For the money the Iconoglass blanks are a real bargain but IMHO you can’t go wrong with either as they are a both great trout rods and fun to fish. Hope this helps.

Post 22 Oct 2022, 19:33 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The iconoglass is quite a bit cheaper than the other rods mentioned.

McFarland knows his PA trout streams. I prefer the McFarland spruce creek over the gtx for central pa streams. It's even named for one.

The mid Atlantic fly fishing and collectables show is already scheduled.

The Show details are as follows:

· Date: Saturday, March 18, 2023

· Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

· Location: West Village Commons, 424 Emerson Drive, Towson, MD

Post 24 Oct 2022, 06:10 • #10 
Guide
This discussion brings up rods that are perfect for the kind of fishing I like...how to choose... :rolleyes

Post 24 Oct 2022, 19:39 • #11 
Master Guide
One of each?

Post 28 Oct 2022, 23:39 • #12 
I can only speak to the Steffen 8' 4/5wt, but what a lovely rod. As others have mentioned, a very even keeled medium to maybe medium fast very progressive taper... Not steep like others that have been brought up. Feels a little faster perhaps because of how light the blank is. I usually use a 5wt line on it as I like a little deeper load. The only fault and it be minor if because of the progressive nature, really short casts don't have quite as much line feel... Again even using a 5wt, but get a short bit of line out and that disappears quickly. I'm anxious to try out one of the longer light line versions of the GTX blank as I prefer a taper that is a bit steeper.

Post 30 Oct 2022, 11:27 • #13 
Master Guide
Not to contradict Japhy, but I thought Id throw in my 2 cents on short range casts with my steffen 5/6 8'. Mine casts very well wit a ri gold 5, rio gold 6, 444 peach DT6, and an MPX 5. I do prefer the wf5 lines, but if I knew I would be working at 25'and less all day, up lining to the gold 6 would give an edge for up close casts with no practical cost for longer casts. Mine casts well at the closest range where I think I would want an 8' rod.

If anything, I think Id choose a Steffen over an iconoglass for really close up work.

New Topic Add Reply