It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:28

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Oct 2022, 10:11 • #1 
Sport
I would like to build a spinning rod and gift it to a friend who fishes the salt in cape cod for stripers. I have zero knowledge in this type of fishing and have been looking for some information about what makes a good striper rod but found mostly sales pitches. I've built only fly rods with nylon, and silk thread using a varnish finish. The rod would be used in off shore fishing. I sure could use some suggestions from anyone who may have experience in this type of build...Thank you.

Post 07 Oct 2022, 21:12 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the rod you're planning to build is for surf fishing, right?

Assuming you want a fiberglass blank, blanks from Lamiglas and Fenwick were what has traditionally been used in the northeast. These rods are usually in the 10-1/2’ to 11-1/2’ range.

I’ll throw out a couple of blank numbers. These are what I use for fishing Long Island and Cape Cod.

Lamiglas SSB136 2M, 11-1/3' long, rated for 3 - 5 oz lures.

Fenwick SU1265F, 10-1/2' long, rated for 3 - 6 oz lures.

I tend to doubt that these are still made, but you can use these specs as a guide.

Post 08 Oct 2022, 06:12 • #3 
Sport
Thanks Gaddis for your reply. I'm afraid I didn't do a very good job explaining what I think I want. I believe this fellow fishes from boats with conventional spinning gear. I was hoping for some suggestions on blank type, length, action, and any specifics on a salt water build. Thank you.

Post 08 Oct 2022, 06:22 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Tough to judge from that, I’m afraid. Stripers can run from a few pounds to 10 times that. We’d need to know more about what style of fishing he usually partakes in. Possibly if you knew a specific reel model he uses, I could probably infer a rod from that.

Post 08 Oct 2022, 07:44 • #5 
Guide
He could be casting to smaller schoolies on the surface or dropping down deeper to bigger fish. Would you have an idea what type of rod action he prefers or the lures (weights) he is using.

Post 08 Oct 2022, 07:56 • #6 
Sport
Thanks guys for the help, I will try and get more information about the type of fishing he does. This would be a surprise gift so I need to be a little discreet.
Thank you

Post 08 Oct 2022, 09:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Also a little side note - you mentioned he fishes with “conventional spinning gear”. Around here, “conventional” means revolving spool reels, so you might want to get some clarification on that.

New Topic Add Reply