It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:42

New Topic Add Reply
Convert sentimental rod
Post 04 Oct 2022, 19:38 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a very old Shakespeare, staggered ferrule, casting rod, model 1563 M, dated FBE (Jun 1959) that has significant sentimental value for me. However, I have never learned (and don't want to) use a baitcaster, and the cork on the grip has failed. When I am not using a fly rod, I use a spinning rod. My desire is to convert it to a spinning rod by stripping off the blank, changing out the guides, and adding a spinning rod grip and reel seat.

It appears to have been a high quality rod as it seems to have a stainless steel ferrule and hardware. I think it is worth saving in remembrance of an old friend.

Looking for recommendations and advice as to how to proceed since I am not a rod builder. Has anybody done anything like this...anybody want to? Where should I look for materials if I am to proceed?

Post 04 Oct 2022, 22:15 • #2 
Administrator
Or repair the handle and mount a vintage Shakespeare spin cast reel. The model 1775 spin cast reel was featured prominently on Shakespeare catalogs from that time frame. Many of us started out with a spin cast rod & reel combo, but the Shakespeare and Johnson Century reels were much better built than our standard plastic Zebcos.

Tom

Post 05 Oct 2022, 07:53 • #3 
Guide
I would basically restore it and find something else to use for spinning. Altering it just really removes the sentimental value to me

Post 05 Oct 2022, 11:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with both the above comments. Spin cast isn't that hard to learn. As I recall they were called "closed face spinning" reels rather than "spin cast" by all the people I knew.
Converting the rod is quite possible but if the old friend came back would he recognize it as his? To me the sentimental value is better if left alone as is warts, bad cork, and all.

Post 05 Oct 2022, 11:42 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Same here. That rod could be restored or touched up and used with a closed-face, push button spinning reel, perhaps one of that time period. Both were designed for heavier lines and lure weights than we often think of today for use with open-faced spinning reels. At the very least, first take a typical open-face reel and a lure you would envision using, tape the reel in a reasonable guides-down, under position on the grip, and try it.

Post 05 Oct 2022, 12:30 • #6 
Piscator

I could build you a backlash-proof baitcaster that might change your mind about UL spinning.
You do have to stop the spool with your thumb when the lure hits the water, but if you're throwing light enough, there's not energy left in the spool even for that.

Post 05 Oct 2022, 12:54 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
+1 to bulldog's suggestion - the UL baitcasters are oddly enough much easier to cast than the older ones, most likely due to the light spools. Getting a bulldog build would also give you the new mag brakes, once tuned by Ron it will be a fine easy caster.

or the spincast idea. There are quite a few old Shakespeare spincasters available, a bit of maintenance and they'd be fine to fish. Personally I run an old Abumatic 120 when feeling spincasterish, those are mechanically a bit complex but very solidly made.

Typically those handles will have the cork glued on to a metal shaft, so should be straightforward to cut the bad cork off, sand and mount some new cork. New cork available from Matt at Proof Fly Fishing.
I'd go for the Grade B cork rings, cheap and will match the original pretty well ;-)

You could also make it a baitcast / spin rod.. what I'd do is look for a metal female ferrule that matches the lower male one. Mount that ferrule on a bit of scrap graphite or fiberglass, and build a spin rod handle on that. Now you have two handles for the rod, a baitcast trigger one or the spin one..
Janns Netcraft has a selection of old-fashioned metal ferrules. The problem here is finding a match, that lower male is probably quite thick.
Fly Shack has a couple of larger ferrules too, up to 9.5mm, hopefully that will be enough.

Post 06 Oct 2022, 11:28 • #8 
Piscator
3rd choice.
The Smith Super Strike handle above (again below) is currently out of production, but will return eventually.
I have a collet for the blade vise that's made to fit Fenwick rod blade ferrules.
If that fits your Shakespeare blade ferrule (we can measure), you could pick up the Smith handle when it's available again.
It's magnesium, and lighter-weight than aluminum hardware.

Post 07 Oct 2022, 09:02 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
All I can contribute here is that I started baitcasting this year and am loving it. It is a bit like fly casting in that it requires practice and there is a lot of info to pick up. Which can be fun if, like me, you enjoy learning new things. Not to mention the prospect of acquiring shiny new gear :)

Ron and Doug are great resources of info, too.

I've been using baitcasters on some of my Sierra trips this past summer, where in the past I might have used a spinning reel instead, and have caught some nice trout. I've also caught some of the largest bass I've ever seen in the local reservoir.

Post 07 Oct 2022, 09:08 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Would be simple to convert that to a spinning rod it you wanted such, just build a grip and seat on a hunk of old glass rod. Might even just find an old seat/grip that you like on a donor rod. If you want to go that route and don't want to do it yourself I would be glad to do it. Going to be a pretty stiff spinning rod. but it will catch fish!

Lots of neat old spin-cast reels out there too.

I had a short (5ft?) cane 2pc spin? cast? rod with a staggered ferrule, I used it quite a bit backpacking in the late 70's with an open faced Quick reel., it was really stiff but still a joy.

Post 07 Oct 2022, 20:50 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I’d vote for keeping it as a baitcaster and just learning how to baitcast. Just a matter of finding the right reel. Worse-case, you can put a spincaster on it, as Tom suggested.

Post 07 Oct 2022, 22:39 • #12 
Master Guide
jgestar wrote:
Or repair the handle and mount a vintage Shakespeare spin cast reel. The model 1775 spin cast reel was featured prominently on Shakespeare catalogs from that time frame. Many of us started out with a spin cast rod & reel combo, but the Shakespeare and Johnson Century reels were much better built than our standard plastic Zebcos.

Tom
+1 Those vintage Shakespeare Spin Cast reels are cool !

New Topic Add Reply