It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:00

New Topic Add Reply
Re-wrapping a rod
Post 20 Sep 2022, 06:51 • #1 
Sport
I have two CGR rods that I enjoy fishing but don't care much for the aesthetics. A 5 and the 7/8. The cork on the rods isn't great. The stripping guides on the 5 wt seem huge and it has the most filler I've ever seen on a grip. I just rewrapped a vintage bamboo rod - but the wraps were literally falling off already. So my question is - How would I go about getting these rods totally stripped? I think I can get the seats and grips off easily enough, and I know to cut with a razor along the guide feet, but how do I get the signature wraps off? will the epoxy leave residue behind? I suppose I could just start operating on one of them and find out but I thought I'd ask if anyone has some guidance.

Re: Re-wrapping a rod
Post 20 Sep 2022, 07:55 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You are going to want to use the search function on this one. There are lots of variations, but two-part guide finishes, especially on production rods, are usually on there and won't come off without leaving some marks behind or taking some of the blank's coating (depends on the blank) with them. You can usually design a rewrap scheme, though, to cover any slight cosmetic "damage."

For an expeced change in usefulness--let's say you want to change the stripping guide position to suit your reach, or change the grip to a more comfortable shape, or the reel seat to a preferred locking position or form--redoing a relatively new rod can be worth it.

For cosmetic changes alone, well, that could be sufficient reason also. However, the time and modest expense might be better spent on a new blank, built as you want it to begin with. Twenty years from now, the Cabela's might need some rehab and you'll know the best way to do it.

Post 20 Sep 2022, 08:44 • #3 
Sport
Makes sense. That’s kinda what I figured. Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Post 20 Sep 2022, 08:44 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Whrlpool's suggestion of a new blank makes a lot of sense. Redoing a rod is harder than starting from scratch, and getting epoxy off cleanly without pulling off the existing finish is hard.

The general approach is to slice through the epoxy on top of the guide foot, running a razor blade with it's flat along the guide foot. That way you don't damage the blank. Then you peel part of the epoxy off and find an end of the thread and pull on the thread. The thread usually comes off under the epoxy, and then you can peel the rest of the epoxy off. What is left are epoxy rings at each end of the wrap. These are just painful to get off. A fingernail or credit card can sometimes do it. Some mild heat may help (but don't overdo it) Anyway, you often can't get down to a clean blank without pulling some of the finish off.

If the rod isn't broken, it probably isn't worth fixing. There are other reasonably priced blanks out there that will make a great rod. If you really love the blank, go for it, and read the back through this form. You might want to start at the beginning and scan forward. There were some great posts by some fantastic builders.

Post 20 Sep 2022, 08:51 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
to keep things feasible, I would only consider swapping-out the grip/seat, and then maybe the stripping guide.

If your plan is to replace/re-space snake guides and/or re-do the signature wraps area,
then I would approach the project as a "total strip" - which includes the original blank finish.

I have done this successfully with a rod once - a Berkley Curt Gowdy Parametric 7'0" 2/1 #5-6.
The project came out really nice, but it was quite a lot of work, compared to just starting out with a clean blank.
The only reason I endeavored to do it, was because it is my Dad's rod - well-fished over the years, and needed some TLC.
"Nostalgia" is a powerful motivator. ;-)

Post 20 Sep 2022, 08:52 • #6 
Sport
Thanks. These replies confirm it. I’ll just get a new blank.

Post 20 Sep 2022, 09:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I agree with the comments about the wraps and just starting over with a new blank. I've rewrapped a few rods, and I'm not convinced that it was totally worth it. If the blank is special to you, then sure.

That said, replacing the cork grip (and perhaps the reel seat too) is fairly straightforward and much less time consuming. The cork is your most direct connection to the rod, and if it doesn't feel good in hand, I think it's worth replacing. As above, there are more than a few threads on how to do this, and reasonably good cork—both preformed grips and cork rings—are found from a variety of shops.

Post 21 Sep 2022, 16:00 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
older rods are easier, because they don't have epoxy finishes.. so any splitcane is relatively simple to strip and refinish, older glass similarly. New glass and graphite finish with epoxy is written in stone as it were..
all my rods are built with varnish finish.

I've done some epoxy rebuilds as carlz outlines - cut and peel, then do longer wraps or add trim wraps, to cover the blemishes that I made. Citristrip is worth trying, it's worked for me to soften up epoxy without stripping the finish on some graphite rods.

Post 22 Sep 2022, 18:56 • #9 
Sport
goose_ wrote:
will the epoxy leave residue behind?

Sometimes, but I just prise as much as possible with a careful razor hand, then go to the wood. Round toothpick tip, wooden dowel (sharpened), anything with the edge of grain exposed will rub epoxy off quite well. Takes a bit of labor, but it’s the best thing I’ve found. Play with it a while, you’ll see. When it gums-up the grain, roll or switch to a cleaner plane of expose grain. Light hand is best, the back&forth does have a slight heat component. Not damaging to blanks, but does work well on the epoxy residue.

goose_ wrote:
Thanks. These replies confirm it. I’ll just get a new blank.

Good for you! In the meantime, start working on one of those GGR rods just to get your technique and chops down. Never know, you may discover a few tricks of your own in doing so. ;) More practice is never a bad thing.

Post 23 Sep 2022, 15:18 • #10 
Sport
That’s a really interesting tip that I never would have thought of. Thanks!

New Topic Add Reply