It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Sep 2022, 17:25 • #1 
Master Guide
Hoping for some advice.

I just picked up a FY-508 8wt Wonderod made in 1975. There is a chip out of the tip of the grip just in front of where my thumb would go. Can someone suggest a fix for it? I have some wood putty, but I was wondering if some epoxy and dust from sanding down a cork ring would work and after it sets filing or sanding it. I could just leave it alone, as the rod is not collectable and will be a fishing rod for bass and maybe some saltwater.

I did some lawn casting with it today with a Cortland 7wt, which was not as good as a clear intermediate 8wt line, which was so sweet with this rod. Rod weighs 4.6oz, but it seems lighter in the hand than another Wonderod that I have (undetermined 3pc 8wt) that weighs 0.3oz less

Post 09 Sep 2022, 21:15 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The question to ask is if you need your thumb to go there. If you look at the picture, you can see there is a crack forming at the ring boundary just below the chip. Just be careful of that if you try to do any sanding or filing.

The two easy methods are to leave it alone, or put it on a lathe (or some spinning mechanisim) and sand the front down so the chip is no longer exposed, but that changes the nature of the grip.

I would try a few layers of wood putty. One to do the bulk of the filling, let it dry and then one that comes up above the surface of the cork so it can be sanded down.

Good luck. The value of that rod is in the fishing, so figure out what you need for the grip to be comfortable and go with that.

Post 10 Sep 2022, 07:18 • #3 
Master Guide
Thank you carlz,

I think I will try the wood putty route and do multiple fillings to build it up. Don’t want it to get worse and crumble more. It isn’t a pageant queen so not too concerned about looks.

Have a good weekend,

Pete

Post 10 Sep 2022, 08:56 • #4 
Master Guide
Elmers Golden oak wood putty is a perfect match for cork for repairs.

Post 10 Sep 2022, 09:02 • #5 
Sport
Second the Elmer's Golden Oak being perfect
Chris

Post 10 Sep 2022, 14:56 • #6 
Master Guide
Thank you cheffy and csmielke for the suggestion!

I had purchased some Minwax Golden Oak wood putty but just realized it says it will not harden to sandable surface. I will look at the Elmers product in Golden Oak.

Have a good day,

Pete

Post 11 Sep 2022, 14:15 • #7 
Guide
Another option would be to cut a section from a cork ring to fit into the chip, epoxy or glue in place then sand it flush. You could open up the chip a little with a razor blade for an easier fit.

Post 11 Sep 2022, 16:30 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I like wetfly Action's idea if the filling with woodputty doesn't work. cut out a notch and epoxy a new one in.

Post 12 Sep 2022, 10:57 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
That's the best way to do it, short of using a razor blade to slice out the entire ring, taking another and cutting it into C-like halves, inserting and gluing it, and lightly sanding to fit. Either way, 15 minutes and done. Filling will work. For a while. The larger the fill, the more likely to fall out eventually because the materials don't expand and contract at the same rate. One of the cork replacement methods is the way to go. If the rest of that ring is sound, glueing a wedge of cork shaped to fit will be fine.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71898&p=394929&hilit=cut+cork+ring+in+half+insert#p394929

Post 12 Sep 2022, 18:03 • #10 
Master Guide
Thank you for the suggestions on a wedge or replacing half of the ring. I did not do it yet, as I did not get a chance to get the Elmers wood filler, had Minwax, but not the right stuff (not sandable). I do have a ring or two in the storage room - just have to find it now.

New Topic Add Reply