It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:55

New Topic Add Reply
Garcia Conolon question
Post 09 Sep 2022, 09:37 • #1 
My wife brought home an old abumatic 170 on a 2604D 6'6" 2star Garcia Conolon rod. It's a light action spinning rod, 1/4 - 1/2 oz lures and 4 - 10lb line. The reel was in almost pristine shape, and cleaned up beautifully,and very smooth.

The rod is in decent shape, but there is fraying of the wraps on the bottom foot of the stripping guide.I'd like to clean it up and set it up to fish with my grandson. After reading through several threads here, I see several folks pull the old metal ferrules and replace with fiberglass. Would that be worth the trouble here? If I did that I'd probably pull all the guides, strip the rod to bare glass, and rebuild with a casting seat and more kid-friendly grip.

My other thought is whether this would make a decent 6'6" fly rod? Anyone tried that with one of the Conolon spinning blanks? I know I'm overthinking this. The consensus will likely be to simply rewrap the stripping guide and enjoy the vintage rod/reel combo. Thanks for reading, and any insight/advice.

Post 09 Sep 2022, 10:02 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If the ferrule is in good condition, no need to do anything. If it isn't, easiest is to replace it with another. Installing a spigot instead is a fun project but unlikely to enhance the rod any. Right now, you can try the rod enough to know its performance. If it is satisfactory, replacing worn parts and protecting wraps will be all it needs.

Post 09 Sep 2022, 13:31 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Generally a spinning rod like that will make a poor, but functional fly rod. Heck you can cast a fly line with a broomstick too.

No need to replace ferrule unless you want to do it for fun and the experience.

I would just wrap over those frayed wraps and go fishing!

New Topic Add Reply