It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:10

New Topic Add Reply
Titanium Guides
Post 30 Aug 2022, 22:30 • #1 
Master Guide
I’m starting to look at components for my second rod build. This one’s going to be an 8wt McFarland GTX that I’ll be using primarily for freshwater stripers, but I’m also hoping to use it for redfish in the salt and hopefully bonefish eventually.

Does anyone have experience or opinions of the Recoil titanium snake guides? I’m trying to decide between the Recoil titanium guides and the Snake brand Ecoating guides.

For the stripping guide, I’m thinking Alps XN titanium - has anyone used this stripping guide on heavy weight builds?

Re: Titanium Guides
Post 30 Sep 2022, 13:14 • #2 
Master Guide
I used recoil titanium guides when I built out my 8ft 8in 8wt McFarland a few years ago and they have held up fine fishing the salt for striped bass in the Northeast as well as FL for snook along the beach. My stripping guide was not a recoil and shows some corrosion on the guide feet:(. I am building out a 81/2ft 7wt GTX and have opted for Recoil titanium guides and strippers for the build.

Post 30 Sep 2022, 14:47 • #3 
Guide
Cerecoil strippers, Fuji, Sea Guide have all worked well for me. I haven’t tried the alps but I like their tip tops. The eco coated are quieter than standard recoils in certain situations, the black recoils are about the same to me. Snake feet are nicer. I tend to gravitate to titanium in salt. Marketing, lol. I mainly fish salt.

Post 30 Sep 2022, 15:09 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks for the responses! After some deliberation, I ended up going with Snake brand guides with Ecoating just because I’ve built with Snake guides in the past and they’ve never failed me.

I may have been overthinking the salt safe aspect of my build, as I’ll probably be fishing the GTX 8wt in freshwater 95% of the time. I did go with the Alps XN titanium stripping guide, just in case.

Mass Trout, I think you’ll like the GTX 7wt - let me know what you think when you finish the build. The GTX 7wt has become my go-to bass and streamer rod. It has plenty of power for big fish and big flies, but it’s surprisingly delicate and light in hand when casting.

New Topic Add Reply