It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Aug 2022, 10:50 • #1 
Hi All,

I have a Fenwick FF84 & FF80 that are in need of new cork and I've decided to go ahead and have the reel seats replaced with double uplocking reel seats while I'm at it. Does anyone know what size reel seats would fit these two rods? I know nothing about rod building so I'm a bit overwhelmed with the number of options at the moment and not sure if they are fairly standard or if the vintage Fenwicks need a specific size to fit. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Mike

Post 30 Aug 2022, 11:43 • #2 
Administrator
Are you going to do the work? I only ask because if you are going to use a rod shop, they can outline their available options fairly quickly.

Either way, measure the reelseats on the rod. Then find something of that size. A light spinning rod reelseat can be used as easily as a fly rod reelseat.

If you want to use a smaller diameter reelseat, then take off the existing hardware and measure the rod blanks underneath.

Tom

Post 30 Aug 2022, 12:15 • #3 
Master Guide
PM Sent.

Post 30 Aug 2022, 14:55 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Another option is Rick’s Rods. They often have NOS metal reel seats that would work well for Frnwicks.

Post 30 Aug 2022, 19:17 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Mike, if you can put a rubber band around a newspaper, you can install a reel seat. Use the search function here, and/or use the advice and products suggested by one of the component suppliers who post here frequently. Rick's Rods is a good source that may very well have near identical Varmac, Allan, or Cal-Air real seats. Pretty sure it was one or another of those companies that supplied Fenwick. There are plenty of contempory models that would be fine as well.

Post 31 Aug 2022, 12:49 • #6 
Thanks all for the ideas on getting this taken care of. I spoke with Matt at Proof and once I get the reel seats removed I will have him recommend the reel seat I need.

The rod is actually going to be sent to Rick's Rods for repairs as I also have guides that need to be redone and other work that I'd like to get done all at once.

Appreciate the advice from everyone here :)

Post 31 Aug 2022, 17:51 • #7 
Sport
I have dealt with Matt before, very helpful and a great contributor to this forum.

New Topic Add Reply