It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:37

New Topic Add Reply
Troutsmiths 6023 build
Post 24 Aug 2022, 19:56 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi guys! Ive finally finished up my Troutsmiths 6023. First off, I need to say a big "thank you" to Shane for producing such an awesome taper and giving me rod building advice along the way. Shane is a stand up buisness man, and Im coming to find that he makes some really great blanks. Thanks Shane!

The rod is built with a RL reel seat, a hand turned 5-1/2" cork grip with a proof fly fishing raw bark ring on the face, wrapped with kimono #100 color 370 (teriyaki), spar varnish, and snake ultralite guides. It looks and feels great with a modern battenkill one clicker.

So far I have lawn cast the rod with a sylk dt3 and a rio creek wf3. To me, the rod feels a little underloaded with the sylk but feels awesome with the rio creek from 2-3' out to about 20-25' of line. To me, thats where a rod like this should shine. I suspect it will do just dandy for fishing dries right on up to a size 10 or 12, just right for small stream brookies. The rod is probably the most limber that I have ever held, I think it will be great for keeping smaller trout on the hook.

Im really pleased with the rod, Its great that someone is willing to produce shorter blanks at (relatively) heavy line weights and pack rod sections to boot. After the initial wiggle test I was so sure this one was going to be a stunner that I went back and ordered a 7034 and 7645. They both feel like very promising blanks as well.

With any luck Ill get some time on the water with this rod the weekend after labor day, Ill be sure to report back! Ill try to do some side by side casting with the SFG 2 with the same line and reel and provide a comparison.

Thanks!

Post 24 Aug 2022, 20:29 • #2 
Master Guide
Great looking build, John! I like your transition from reel seat to grip. The raw bark end on the grip is cool too. The teriyaki wrap color looks nice on the white blank. Looking forward to seeing your builds on the 3/4 and 4/5 blanks.

Post 24 Aug 2022, 21:05 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Outstanding work. Everything looks great, with all your component and color selections very well coordinated. That should be a kick to fish!

Post 25 Aug 2022, 15:10 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks guys! Im really excited to put a fish on the other end of this rod. I think its going to be a blast.

Post 25 Aug 2022, 17:55 • #5 
Sport
Great looking rod BrookieBoy, haven't seen the raw bark ring on a rod before but it looks really old school. I like it, great build!

Post 26 Aug 2022, 21:36 • #6 
Master Guide
That looks beautiful. Nice job on build. I also like color choice of the thread wraps on that blank.

Post 18 Sep 2022, 09:42 • #7 
Master Guide
Hi guys! I finally got a chance to fish this rod today. No big fish, but I did catch a few small rainbows and a suprise redbreast sunny way farther up the creek than normal..

Anyways, I couldnt be any more pleased with the rod. I fished it with a rio creek 3wt, a 7' 5x leader and a size 16 caddis. The rod will happily cast the entire head of the line and straightens beautifully at that 35' range. It will roll cast perfectly to nearly that range. It is one of the best roll casting rods I have cast, which is saying a lot given its small size. Casts with only 2-3' of fly line out of the tip are also grand. While it will certainly work for many things, it has "brookie rod" written all over it.

In short, this rod is an indispensable piece of southern Appalachian tackle. Highly recommended, and another big thanks to Shane.

Post 24 Oct 2022, 20:06 • #8 
Guide
I'm with BrookieBoy-I like your grip system, cool looking setup. Thanks for the review as well-gives me something to think about, as well as your opinions on which lines you preferred. I'll bet it could handle a bit larger quarry just fine too.

Post 24 Oct 2022, 20:08 • #9 
Guide
Great rod! I agree that Shane is a great person!

Post 25 Nov 2022, 22:13 • #10 
Sport
I have not met Shane in person but he is great to deal with. I have bought a couple of rods from him and contacted him regarding a couple of his rods acquired on the secondary market. He keeps great records/ history of the rods he has built.

Best,
Mike

New Topic Add Reply