It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:16

New Topic Add Reply
TL Johnson contact info
Post 28 Jul 2022, 20:32 • #1 
Sport

Hi:
Just wondering if anyone had current contact info for TL Johnson or maybe Larry Snyder from flyfishingcrazy (he seemed pretty close to Terry when I bought the rod)?
Anyway, was fishing with the old Synergy glass rod to when it snapped under the first guide on the tip section. Can honestly say I’ve never had that happen! I heard Terry is retired but thought he might have a tip section lying around or have some other idea of how to repair it.
Thanks!
Paul

Post 28 Jul 2022, 22:13 • #2 
Administrator
I don't think Synergy Glass has been made for over a decade. TL Johnson no longer makes rods, only cigars. Finding a replacement tip will be a matter of luck and persistence. In the meantime, the break can be repaired with a stent. The rod won't be perfect, but it should be close.

I've moved this question to the Rod Building section where there might be a more relevant discussion. Meanwhile, what is the rod length and line weight, in case someone snapped a butt section and has a tip.

Last point, you could contact Shane Gray at Graywolf rods (forum member Shane here). There are mentions that he purchased the remaining blanks from TL Johnson when Terry became a full time cigar seller.

Tom

Post 29 Jul 2022, 06:12 • #3 
Sport
Good Luck trying to contact him. I bought a Synergy blank ( 7' 4 wt. ) quite a few years ago and it took about 3 or 4 months before he finally responded I was about to give up on him when he finally showed up.
Fred

Post 29 Jul 2022, 07:18 • #4 
Sport
Thanks for getting this in the right spot and for the info.
It is a 7’ 4 weight in the green glass.
Paul

Post 29 Jul 2022, 08:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Unfortunately I do not have any TL Johnson blanks. When I did purchase the remaining inventory it was all the yellow blanks and that was more than 10 yrs ago.

Post 29 Jul 2022, 09:17 • #6 
Sport
Shoot - thanks though Shane! I was trying to remember when I got it and the best I could come up with is “more than 10 years ago” and “less than 15 years ago.” Guess there’s probably not much chance then of finding one. Oh well.

Seems like Terry’s always been a bit flaky to deal with. I bought the rod through a local dealer who was what I can tell his primary distribution channel. Anyway, I didn’t know that the rods were built to order but apparently they were. My rod was a bit delayed because something was going on with Terry or his family. No big deal but struck me as odd.
Next, I really liked the 4 wt and saw he offered a 7 wt so decided to order one through the same channel. Dealer contacts me and says he doesn’t have one in stock but will “have Terry get on it. “. Months go by with me checking out in occasionally with “be done this week “ or similar but no rod. Finally canceled the order and got a refund. Long way to say, I’m not surprised it took 3-4 months to get a response.
Paul

Post 29 Jul 2022, 09:58 • #7 
Master Guide
If my memory is correct, CTS rolled most of the TL Johnson blanks, especially the Glass. I'd send an email to to them, explain the model and possible time frame that it was made. CTS is pretty decent when it comes to their records, they may be able to get you a new section, just the blank, and it would also require you to send the whole rod back to them for proper ferrule fit. Then you'd have to wrap a few guides or have a builder finish it back out.

Post 29 Jul 2022, 10:27 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That's a good suggestion from wjude. On the other hand, you probably got good service from the rod, and though it is broken now, there are plenty of others available in similar configurations and modest prices from currently active and reliable sources. The cost of repair, other than make-do with a stent, might well exceed the monetary or fishing value of the rod. If you were to start a thread, "Rod to replace (model, length and line weight), I bet you would get plenty of good suggestions. Other than that, we don't need to post individual transaction details or personal information about a niche maker who has been out of the business for a long time. You never know what a direct inquiry to the easy-to-find cigar company would turn up, anything from no reply to here's some help.

New Topic Add Reply