It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:55

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Jul 2022, 23:49 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have been using Helmsman Spar Varnish in clear gloss as a finish on my rod wraps for a couple of years now, and I have found the process works better for me than epoxy. Dave Lewis' website mentions that he uses heat to help the varnish cure, after discovering that rods left in a hot car while on a fishing trip got much harder.

So, I threw a couple of sections in a rod tube, and left it in my car for a few days. I was surprised by the color changes. The first picture is a ferrule wrapped with black thread and blue and teal accents (both color-preserved thread). The two thin trim bands started out as the same color. The second picture is from the butt section of the rod, that didn't make it into the car since I was working on the signature and logo section. It shows what the colors started out like.

I should also add that the varnish has shrunk. The smooth finish I had before now shows the subtle lines of the thread below.

A few more details: There is a layer of epoxy over the wraps in the second photo to protect the signature, but they have had similar coatings of varnish applied before I put epoxy on top of them. My finishing process is to apply a base coat of epoxy and to wipe off everything that hasn't soaked into the thread. I put 4-5 thin coats of varnish on top of that.

I assume that the varnish yellowed significantly while in the car. So, is this something that I should watch out for with my varnished rods? Should I just expect to wrap with earthy colors, knowing that the varnish will eventually darken and become more amber-tinted? How have others addressed this, other than to accept its inevitability—should we add the yellowing of varnish to death and taxes?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Post 28 Jul 2022, 08:52 • #2 
Master Guide
Yes...the varnish will yellow. I stick to colors where it isn't as noticeable/doesn't change the final outcome as much. I don't use heat but the finish does shrink as it cures on its own over time.

Post 29 Jul 2022, 06:17 • #3 
Sport
I would give them about 4 or 5 coats on the wraps. I also dip my bamboo fly rods after coating the wraps and so far have not seen any thread showing thru the varnish.
Fred

Post 29 Jul 2022, 07:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Spar varnish mellows over time. It is a durable, flexible, protective and enhancing finish, proven on wood for marine environments. It looks better with time and enhances the substrate. Applied in thin coats--you can't put it on too thin--it withstands harsh conditions. A rod exposed to heat that the varnish can't take will likely be damaged in other more significant ways. Usually, if varnish fails abruptly, poor application or poor storage is the cause. Otherwise, it mellows over decades, developing character all that time. There is no reason to rush it. Because it is a wood finish, it mellows best with earthtone colors.
Vivid primary colors are, well, vivid colors that some folks like on fly rods. The more crystal clear two part coatings, often designed for thicker quick application, protect just as well with a more assured appearance of sparkling clarity. They look great until they cloud, crack, check, peel, or, yes, even yellow. But they may maintain crystal clarity for a long time. However, if the finish starts to change, it will look dingy and worn, as opposed to a varnish finish that gets better over time.

Post 29 Jul 2022, 16:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Troutnut, there were probably 5 coats of varnish over the wraps before I put it in the car. The finish was smooth and glassy beforehand too. The sections sat on my bench for a few days before I decided to see what happened by putting them in the car.

I'm mainly surprised because I haven't seen a vintage rod or a contemporary one with this dramatic a change in color before. Thankfully, we're just talking about aesthetics, not function.

The good news is that most of the wraps are simply black. I only did the accents on the signature, the ferrules, and the stripping guide wraps. So, I'll just redo those sections in something more earth-toned.

Thanks for the insights.

New Topic Add Reply