It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jul 2022, 21:05 • #1 
Sport
I treated myself to an Iconoglass 8 wt for a combo birthday/father's day gift, and I'm looking for some help or a resource for guide sizing. I assume I'll want two stripping guides, but I'm not sure what sizes to use, or if I should go with oversize guides (not even really sure what constitutes "oversize"), and I'm in the same boat when it comes to snake guides and tip top. Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.
Also, I'm hoping that someday this rod might see some saltwater work, so I'm wondering if anybody has recommendations for saltwater safe guides and reel seats.
Thanks in advance!

Rich.

Post 27 Jul 2022, 12:12 • #2 
Guide
NFC has the guide spacing right on their site. Looks like you bought a IG8684 rod. If you go to their guide spacing table and type in IG you get spacing as below.

For inspiration on builds, I would look on their site for build outs of that rod and see what others have done for guides, etc. Obv make sure everything you choose is salt safe.

Post 27 Jul 2022, 16:35 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I used Snake Brand ECOating chrome guides and an anodized aluminum reel seat from Custom Fly Rod Crafters on a recent build to stay safe in the salt. There are a lot of similar options for both at most websites with roadbuilding materials.

I seem to remember hearing from somewhere that nickel-plated hardware isn't recommended for saltwater use, but I can't find a source for that. Does anyone know if that is accurate or not?

Post 27 Jul 2022, 17:43 • #4 
Master Guide
I can help with Snake Brand guides and a reel seat if you would like. You can contact me through PM or at the link in my signature.

Thanks,

Matt

Post 27 Jul 2022, 21:12 • #5 
Sport
@MrJesse34- thanks, considering how much time I've spent on NFC's site, I'm not sure how i missed that, but it's very helpful!
@GlacierRambler- Thanks for the info on the ECOating, I was thinking that it might be saltwater safe, but wasn't sure. I've used Snake guides in the past with good results.
@mdraft1- I'll probably be reaching out. You hooked me up on my last build, and I was happy with your recommendations!

I was looking at some Fuji guides on the web, and I like the idea of silicon carbide rings. Can I assume that most of their guide frames would be saltwater safe?

Thanks all!

Post 27 Jul 2022, 21:14 • #6 
Guide
I am a dealer for Snake Brand Guides as well as the Listed dealer for the Lemke line of seats. An yes we do not recommend any of the plated seats for salt or brackish water use. We only recommend the anodized version or the the top of the line Full Titanium

Post 29 Jul 2022, 16:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I'm putting together a similar build right now (a 9' 7/8-weight), and I just noticed that the Iconoglass guide spacings have one less guide than the Tom Morgan and Winston ones I often use as a starting place.

You might consider taping on both configurations to see which one you prefer.

Post 30 Jul 2022, 08:34 • #8 
Sport
Even with the great quality snake and fuji guides I would recommend you wash the rod and reel with a light detergent and generous fresh water rinse after each use. I built a rod for a brother in law who only fishes salt and likely never addressed this issue and the stripping guides started corroding and needed replacement. Enjoy your new rod.

Post 31 Jul 2022, 21:13 • #9 
Sport
Oh for sure! I never put a rod used in saltwater away without thoroughly rinsing the rod and reel down.
Re: stripping guides, a few of the larger retailers of rod building supplies don't really differentiate between stripping guides for fly rods and casting rod guides. Are they basically the same?

Post 31 Jul 2022, 22:47 • #10 
Guide
Yes they are

Post 14 Aug 2022, 09:22 • #11 
Master Guide
I have built a number of saltwater rods in 8-10wt all were graphite blanks. One 8wt I built for a bonefish and striped rod I used a Fuji brand cheap reel seat you would see on spinning rods. It isn’t as aesthetically pleasing as a nice Lemke or other beautiful seat, but it is rock solid and saltwater safe. Just another option that is more for functionality than cosmetics. I also would recommend an appropriately sized fighting butt.

Post 22 Aug 2022, 16:54 • #12 
Sport
I've been looking at Fuji Concept stripping guides. They are available in "Light Duty" and "Medium Duty". Any recommendations one way or the other? Would "Light Duty" be adequate for and 8 wt application?

New Topic Add Reply