It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:34

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jul 2022, 06:33 • #1 
I have a Heddon #6277 casting rod that was given to me many years ago that I have never used and would like to put into service. It has an issue where the guides are aligned to each other perfectly on the blank, but are not aligned at 12:00 when compared to the reel seat. I have tried to show that they are more aligned at 1:00 in the one image.

It appears to me that the issue is the ferrule on the blank must have rotated at some point in time. Has anyone attempted to repair an issue like this on one of these rods? My thought was to carefully heat the ferrule to melt the glue, realign, and let it harden again. I have not decided on a heating method - heat gun, boiling water, small torch, gas stove burner?

I can't figure out how to upload images, so here is a YouTube video I just put together looking at the issue: https://youtu.be/gGWB-2vtwZ0

You can catch a glimpse of the special purpose rods in post #26 here, and scroll down: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60664&start=25

Thanks!

[I added your images to the post - review the thread on photos. I suspect you didn't do the last step that adds the photo to the editing window. The images uploaded just fine. Tom]

Last edited by zuren on 26 Jul 2022, 11:08, edited 6 times in total.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 08:08 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
More likely, I think that the reel seat has moved, I've seen this happen when rod with reel attached got hot inside a car.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 08:20 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Mount a reel on the seat and see how the rod feels in use. The reel seat itself may allow some right or left positioning simply by the way it is locked in place. You may find the reel seat position completely inconsequential.
But picture it as the reel seat out of line with the guides, not the other way around. Other than that, give the rod a casting workout first, to see if anything else goes loose. Then, the best course is to remove and reposition the reel seat if necessary.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 11:09 • #4 
I edited the original post with a link to a video I created with the rod, some clarity, and an image I was able to link. Hopefully that illustrates what is happening. I'm realizing I failed to mention at the beginning that this was a casting rod, and the images that I uploaded never appeared.

The casting reel seat/handle assembly is one, cast, metal piece. There is no way to adjust the seat. The only way I see is rotate the slotted ferrule on the blank.

Thanks!

Post 26 Jul 2022, 14:28 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Obviously you need to rotate that ferrule. Or leave it alone.

On Heddon fly rods I have had to really get ferrules hot to remove them. Too hot. If you want to heat that one, I would start with a butane torch.

You could also simpy enlarge that slot, line things up visually and then tighten down.

Or leave it alone.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 15:41 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
That about covers all the options. The only other thing to do is reposition the tiptop and the guides by rewrapping. If originality is not an issue, rewrapping the guides might prove to be the safest, non-technical approach. It certainly resolves the anxiety of having to deal with that finicky ferrule.

Post 26 Jul 2022, 15:54 • #7 
Administrator
I added your photos to the thread. From looking at them, I wouldn't do a thing. The guides aren't off enough to make a difference on the water. The largest misalignment issue is from the level wind anyway.

I would put the reelseat locking portions through a bulldog1935 cleaning to remove the salts.

If you really must do something, it appears you will have to work on the rod ferrule. Again, personally I wouldn't risk it.

Tom

Post 27 Jul 2022, 06:17 • #8 
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this is not as easy as I was first hoping, so I will probably just leave it alone and work on my OCD instead. :)

Thanks for the cleaning link. I will definitely look to do that.

Post 27 Jul 2022, 06:43 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Try a different handle I have had several of those rods.They are for heavy fish,musky pike etc. They are a pretty cool design and the handles will fit several rod models.I just gave away 3 such rods 2 were "Musky Special".I enjoy vintage gear and use nothing but in fly rods and UL SPINNING rods.For heavy fishing I use modern gear as it is so much nicer to fish with.I have friend who still fishes with those heavy rods.I also gave him a like new Heddon bamboo heavy casting rod with agate guides etc.These are wall hangers to me .He will use it.

New Topic Add Reply