It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:00

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Jul 2022, 19:49 • #1 
Master Guide
Anyone thin acrylic for a calligraphy nib? Or, used acrylic ink?

Thanks. In a pinch. Sorta.

Post 16 Jul 2022, 00:58 • #2 
Administrator
If the company has a thinner designed for their paints/inks it is usually worth the money to use it.

Tom

Post 16 Jul 2022, 06:32 • #3 
Guide
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74469

Using Daler Rowney Acrylic Ink

Post 17 Jul 2022, 12:52 • #4 
Sport
Most acrylic inks can be thinned with alcohol and/or water. Since you are in a pinch, I suggest giving either or both a try with a small amount of ink. Washed beer or soft-drink bottle caps are good, small containers for such experiments. (I don't consume soft drinks and, of course, pore out the beer so I can use the caps.)

Tim

Post 20 Jul 2022, 21:15 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks for the replies. I have thinned with water and alcohol. I’ve thinned just to the point where it’s almost too thick for the nib. Just not opaque enough for me after thinned. Ordered acrylic ink and 1Shot Signer’s paint. Was hoping to get these rods out sooner but will have to wait. I would rather use acrylic ink as not to thin anything anymore. Odd thing is that some rods will take India ink or Testors and other stuff and some won’t. I use Minwax Wipe-On Poly over the script. For example, a Lamiglas wouldn’t take India ink but a Haldin blank would accept it. But I also think some inks and paints have different properties based on brand name. Anyways, 1Shot is the only thing I’ve found that goes on and stays on different rods and accepts my Poly.

Thanks again.

***UPDATE 7/20***

I bought Dr.Ph.Martin’s Spectralite Liquid acrylic ink. I used a donor blank to scribe and let it sit for 48 hours. Then with 4 hours in between applications, I layed down 2 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Poly.

The ink flows very well off the nib but care still needs to be taken as not to tattoo the blank. Beats mixing and thinning my 1Shot. Wipes off easily with water - if done very soon thereafter. My F’s look like J’s.

Post 21 Aug 2022, 12:27 • #6 
Master Guide

A better photo. Several coats of Minwax Wipe-On Poly over Dr.Ph.Martin’s Spectralite Liquid acrylic ink.

Post 21 Aug 2022, 13:15 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Looks good. I've started to use Krylon spray acrylic over India ink, and it has worked well. I had been using color preserver, also an acrylic, but I had trouble getting a smooth application and the ink would sometimes run into the CP. I'd say you have a good process there.

New Topic Add Reply