It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:11

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jul 2022, 11:57 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
There have been posts of late related to durability of older ‘glass rods, etc. I recent rebuilt a Heddon Pal Mark II circa 1965 or so tobacco glass 8 ft for a 7 two piece. This had been purchased by the original owner as a kids rod for a Colorado trip when it was new. Wasn’t thought to be that useful and lived in a closet until passed on to a friend. Friend tried it out, couldn’t get it to work for him, put it in his closet. After a few years passed, it was given to me. I didn’t care for it, thought it needed more guides at a minimum and back to the closet.

So, I stripped it, taped on more and larger guides, took it out in the yard and had a nice moment. Juggled guide location a bit more and built it out. Nothing fancy, although I did clean the grip off a bit.

It now throws a very tight loop out to 50 feet or so, handled about a half dozen bass the other day, casts a deer hair frog until it gets soaked and works well in a canoe.

There’s a lot of potential—often at very little cost—in these old rods.

Post 02 Jul 2022, 14:51 • #2 
Master Guide
Quote:
There’s a lot of potential—often at very little cost—in these old rods

I agree. Good job and have fun with that Heddon.

Post 03 Jul 2022, 12:20 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looking good. I have a bunch of old Heddon stuff. One 8.5 8wt (yellow) that lost a couple inches off the tip, I put tip top back on and it was a great pike rod, would throw small ducking or rats or spinnerbaits.

I don't think I have ever seen a Heddon that needed more guides. I have at least one that has too many AFAIC and they are itty bitty. Still will shoot a mile of line, I used to use it Bull trout fishing in the Kootenai. shooting heads.

No bass pictures?? I need to get out and throw some poppers.

Post 04 Jul 2022, 14:04 • #4 
Glass Fanatic

Oh, there were bass. You can see the legs of a rather large deer hair frog sticking out of the mouth of this one. One of those gulp takes.l,pk

New Topic Add Reply