It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:35

New Topic Add Reply
Rod Decals Lifting
Post 22 Jun 2022, 19:00 • #1 
Sport
I have a Fenwick FF70 where the two decals are lifting slightly on the edge, maybe 1/32 to 1/16th at most. The decals aren't torn or anything just the edges lifting up. Is this something that lends itself to repair or better off leaving it alone. It's not real noticeable I'm just concerned something may catch on them and create a tear.

Novice rod builder here, is this something to tackle or ignore?
Thanks,
Brian

Re: Rod Decals Lifting
Post 01 Aug 2022, 15:25 • #2 
As to if you want to tackle or not only you can decide. If you are fishing the rod and not worried about it then no need. If it’s otherwise perfect and you want to preserve it that could be more important.

If you decide you want to fix it post a pic and I’m happy to explain some different options.

Post 01 Aug 2022, 19:48 • #3 
Sport
I'll try and get a good shot of it and post, thanks!

Post 02 Aug 2022, 06:00 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I would think of a decal on a fly rod as not much different than an adhesive label on any other product. Not much reason to preserve it for function, nor for value on a run-of-the-mill, everyday use product. But there is no reason not to protect it, either, especially if you're leaving grandma's jam in the refrigerator for a lot of years and might forget what it is. The best way, at the expense of 100 percent authentic, is too clean it thoroughly, spiral wrap with pale, fine thread, and finish with spar varnish or a thin-two part rod finish. Spar will work well on the brown Fenwick blank, but you might prefer one of the crystal clear coatings instead.

Here's the idea on a print label (also happens to be a Fenwick) that I wanted to protect, since the lettering wore off easily. No need, no reason, but I did it anyway. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58302&p=282861&hilit=brule#p282885

Post 02 Aug 2022, 19:24 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Good idea whrlpool, I've stuck the edges of some decals and labels down with clear nail lacquer under to stick it and then coated with another coat of nail lacquer over after the fist dries. but the wrap and varnish trick would be more durable.

Post 04 Aug 2022, 16:29 • #6 
Sport
Here is a pic of the decal, you can see where the edge has lifted by the light reflection from the left edge over to about the 1. The edge is very stiff you can't push it back down to contact the rod, I'm inclined to think that it may have lifted when first installed and dried like that. Again, my main concern is for something to catch the edge and tear it.

Post 22 Aug 2022, 22:08 • #7 
Sport
Would thinned varnish or epoxy work for this.
I have the same problem.

Thanks,
Mike

New Topic Add Reply