It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:15

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Jun 2022, 13:54 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I'm looking for a 1" diameter aluminum rod tube x 24" long or I'd even consider carbon fiber or fiberglass rod tube if there is something out there.

Before I spring for a longer Tenkara rod tube, does anyone know of a source that does custom lengths? Unfortunately my first choice, REC doesn't go that small in diameter.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I'm not interested in DIY hardware store solutions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post 17 Jun 2022, 18:08 • #2 
Master Guide
Its not aluminum, but I really like the tubing that can be purchased from USplastics.com

Search for "tenite butyrate tubing" and you will be met with dozens of options at various OD and thickness. This stuff is fairly stout. The smaller diameters in thicker wall thicknesses could easily hold up my 200lbs. The large diameter and thinner wall materials fall more into the category of "if I end up on my back like a turtle, atleast the rod wont be smooshed".

I find that the 1-5/8 diameter stuff is best for 4 piece rods in rod socks.

They also sell orange caps that fit so tightly that I normally slit up the side of one of the caps on a rod tube so I can get it off.

Sorry, I know that may be a little too DIY, and its certainly not aluminum. It works for me, and weighs much less than something like pvc.

Edit:the dont sell 1-5/8, so I guess Ill measure when I get home

Post 18 Jun 2022, 23:10 • #3 
Guide
Maybe check with Ron at https://www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com/.

His website hasn't been updated in a long time but he makes the tubes for nearly everyone.

Post 19 Jun 2022, 08:23 • #4 
Guide
The last I had heard,. Ron was shutting it down

Post 19 Jun 2022, 10:23 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I might be on to something but regardless, thanks everyone for the suggestions!!

FWIW - I looked at all the commercial rod tube makers/suppliers out there and nobody is really peddling aluminum rod tubes any smaller than 1-5/8" which is OK, but considerably larger than I need.

Thanks again!!

Post 19 Jun 2022, 14:28 • #6 
Master Guide
Have you ever looked at "tenkarabum"
The Medium case has a diameter of 1 1/2" and extends from 16" to just over 24". The case will not fit the Daiwa Expert L LL36 or L LL45M, Nissin Oni Honryu 450 or 395, Shimano 34-38 ZL or the Tenkara USA Ito. It weighs 2.3 ounces.
Medium Rod Case - $10
I have several of these and they work fine---IMHO.

I also have a slightly less than 24 " (1/2" + -) old Wright /Mcgill Trailmaster tube with chained on lid.---May be helpful.
Gary

Post 19 Jun 2022, 19:18 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
You might have already found this, but Amazon offers quite a few aluminum tubes in 1" diameter, and there are also plenty of plugs and end caps available.

Larry

Post 20 Jun 2022, 04:58 • #8 
Guide
Black ABS pipe, light inexpensive and strong.

Post 20 Jun 2022, 06:56 • #9 
Guide
I would reach out to clear creek - https://www.clearcreek.net. Especially if its a rod you care about. Their aluminum tubes are affordable, they look great, and they are really tough.

Post 20 Jun 2022, 13:49 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
midmofly wrote:
Have you ever looked at "tenkarabum"
The Medium case has a diameter of 1 1/2" and extends from 16" to just over 24". The case will not fit the Daiwa Expert L LL36 or L LL45M, Nissin Oni Honryu 450 or 395, Shimano 34-38 ZL or the Tenkara USA Ito. It weighs 2.3 ounces.
Medium Rod Case - $10
I have several of these and they work fine---IMHO.

I also have a slightly less than 24 " (1/2" + -) old Wright /Mcgill Trailmaster tube with chained on lid.---May be helpful.
Gary

I actually have one of Chris' (Tenkara Bum) cases on order to use in the interim. Coincidentally, I bought the rod from him, but this rod doesn't come in what I would call a case. It isn't a particularly expensive rod, but every rod I own (fly, spinning, casting) is in a case. Maybe because my first rod was a Trailmaster ;).

There are options out there from Tenkara USA, but only one is long enough and it is too long. Knowing me, I would want to cut it down and it is carbon fiber & fiberglass and I don't really want to try cutting that down and reinstalling the end plug which I've a done a few times with aluminum tubes.

Like I said earlier, no regular fly rod tube company (REC, Landmark, Clear Creek) makes tubes with a 1" ID or even OD. I know I could fabricate something, but I hoped for something beyond my own abilities in aluminum. However, if everything turns out the way I hope, I got an offer from someone to make me what I am after. :)

In the meantime, thanks again for all of the suggestions!

New Topic Add Reply