It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Jun 2022, 16:48 • #1 
Hi All, new poster longtime lurker.

I picked up this fly Matic with the intent to bring it back to life. It is strait, wraps are good, ferrules are tight. The tip is broken, but my biggest issue is the wire is not through the grip. After some tinkering it doesn’t appear it will be easy to get it back through.

Anyone have an idea on how to get a new wire through the grip? It has some built up gunk in it as well to add to the challenge. I’ll have to pick up a can of compressed air to get that cleaned out. Any specific wire recommendations to be correct to the original?

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Post 16 Jun 2022, 17:52 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I've used a "mouse" on a string and a vacuum cleaner to suck things thru pipes..........just a thought.

A "mouse" being a wad of cotton or whatever you have.

Post 16 Jun 2022, 18:29 • #3 
majicwrench wrote:
I've used a "mouse" on a string and a vacuum cleaner to suck things thru pipes..........just a thought.

A "mouse" being a wad of cotton or whatever you have.

That is far better than any ideas I had. Appreciate the help.

Post 16 Jun 2022, 18:59 • #4 
Piscator
fine single-strand leader wire will push through long tubular guides - I used it on my kayak to pull 500-lb Spectra speargun line through 9' of cable housing on each side for wear- and corrosion-proof rudder cable.

Post 17 Jun 2022, 19:52 • #5 
Thank you, also a great idea. I just had a customer order 5 rods, but I suspect I’ll get this project finished by the end of the year!

Post 29 Jun 2022, 12:31 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
some bike frames have internal routing for the brake cables. If the old cable has broken then it's a challenge..
similar to majic's idea, I used a length of cotton thread and a vacuum cleaner at the far end to suck the cotton through.

Post 30 Jun 2022, 11:54 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Bbovett wrote:
Anyone have an idea on how to get a new wire through the grip?

As far as what wire to use, in looking at this thread, the wire appears to be coated multi strand braided wire leader material. American Fishing Wire (AFW) probably makes something that will work once you figure out the size.

In regards to getting it fished through the handle, as a former security system installer who could fish a wire from anywhere to anywhere, soft wire and/or waxed string (sold specifically for the purpose of fishing light gauge wire) and a small hook were most often my salvation.

Get some galvanized steel wire available in several gauges at any hardware store. Cut off about 4” and make a small loop one end to act as a handle and a VERY small hook on the other end.

Get the old wire out of the handle and from the trigger, see if you see if you can push some waxed string (if you have it) or a length of soft wire like 20 – 22 gauge solid copper (like you find in 4 conductor phone wire) or even fly tying wire down the handle. Lighter gauge galvanized steel wire than your "hook" can also work.

Use the galvanized steel wire hook you fabricated to snag the string or soft wire at the reel seat end. With string or soft wire, just about anyplace you snag it, you can pull it through the opening. Once you get the soft wire or string point-to-point, use it to “fish” the new coated leader material through the handle.

If you need some stiffer wire to push down the handle, use some of the galvanized steel wire and make a tiny hook on the end of that and try to snag that hook with your hook. Not as easy to do, but not impossible as I've done it thousands of times over the years.

Another option if you can't get lighter gauge wire down the handle is to try something heavier & stiffer, maybe my other salvation, coat hanger wire. If you can get that wire down to the reel seat, attach the end of a length of string or even heavy fishing line to the heavy wire with some tape, push both down the handle and use your little hook to snag just the string or fishing line and pull that through the reelseat hole. Pull the stiff wire out and use the fishing line or string to pull the new coated leader material through.

You could also skip the string/soft wire/stiff wire part entirely and try just pushing a loop of the new coated leader material through the handle and try snagging that loop with the hook.

The trickiest part may be running the new wire through the trigger…

Good luck!

Post 01 Aug 2022, 15:19 • #8 
A lot of great info and suggestions. Going to work on this in the dead of winter and I will update with before and after pics when complete.

New Topic Add Reply