It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:11

New Topic Add Reply
Rod Building Motors
Post 02 Jun 2022, 18:27 • #1 
Sport
Looking for the small motors for rod drying and finishing, 4-6 rpm and 50ish rpm respectively. I see many available for $10-20 but I'm a little skeptical as they are all very strange brand names, have no electrical certifications and according to many reviews they run very hot, like 150 degrees. Not looking to start the house on fire!

The commercial models available are very nice indeed, but in all honesty I will probably only build a handful of rods at most so a larger investment doesn't seem practical.

Anyone have any experience with some of these small motors that you could recommend?
Thanks

Re: Rod Building Motors
Post 03 Jun 2022, 01:15 • #2 
Administrator
I assume you looked at gearmotors on eBay? or similar? You can try https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electric-Motors/AC-Gearmotors/AC-Gearmotors/. You will have to do your own wiring.

I've meant to buy a rod drying motor, but I never got around to it. Instead, I hand rotate the rod a partial turn every 4-5 minutes. With epoxy I do that for an hour. After rotating the rod, I hang the rod in a cheap portable clothes closet. That keeps dust from settling on the sticky finish.

With spar varnish, I apply a very thin coat of finish, then immediately hang the rod section in the portable closet.

Tom

Post 03 Jun 2022, 07:35 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Having screwed around with model trains for years there are LOTS of DC motors out there that are very low rpm and you won't electrocute yourself Model railroads are even better than anglers at repurposing stuff.Micro Mark is a really cool hobby and model building supplier .A lot of their stuff is quite useful to the rod builder fly tyer tackle crafter etc.I have no ties to them but they have some interesting stuff.

Post 03 Jun 2022, 13:24 • #4 
Master Guide
jgestar wrote:
I've meant to buy a rod drying motor, but I never got around to it. Instead, I hand rotate the rod a partial turn every 4-5 minutes. With epoxy I do that for an hour. After rotating the rod, I hang the rod in a cheap portable clothes closet. That keeps dust from settling on the sticky finish.

Tom, thanks for this tip. I’m building my first rod soon and was hoping to get away without buying a drying motor. I wouldn’t have thought to protect the epoxy from dust while it dries.

Post 03 Jun 2022, 15:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Scan "DC hobby motor" or "spindle motor," or "solar motor" on a source such as Ebay. If you like to rig stuff, you could easily use one that costs less than $10. All sizes of inexpensive drive belts and pulleys are available, adding maybe another 5 or 10 dollars to the cost.

That said, it's just as easy to apply thin coats that don't or barely sag and run to begin with, occasional hand turning being more than sufficient. More important is dust protection. Another way is to steam up a shower. The steam takes the dust down. When the steam clears, open the door once and hang up the rod to dry dust free. Close the door, and open gently (so as not to stir up dust) any time you want to check or rotate the rod.

What works well in a continuous production environment isn't always what's necessary for one-at-a-time hobby building.

Post 03 Jun 2022, 18:57 • #6 
Sport
Good ideas guys, this gives me some more to check into, I like the idea of DC!

Post 14 Jun 2022, 11:48 • #7 
Sport
I use a rotisserie motor from a grill. But I like a slow rpm. Phil

Post 15 Jun 2022, 22:45 • #8 
Sport
For low rpms a microwave turntable motor can be used. Microwave turntable motors can be purchased inexpensively from electronics shops or dismantling an old microwave. I have used these type of motors successfully in turning driers for epoxied flies.

Post 16 Jun 2022, 17:29 • #9 
Sport
As many have recommended there are a number of good options for the drying motor. The finishing motor options are what's giving me more difficulty. It would be nice to just spend the money and buy a nice wrapping set-up, but for just a rod or two it just doesn't make much sense.

Post 17 Jun 2022, 09:10 • #10 
Guide
This can get you closer. https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Synchrono ... LC939?th=1

Post 17 Jun 2022, 10:06 • #11 
Master Guide
There is a seller on eBay by the name of calljmf that has some very reasonably priced turners. My brother has several of them and they have worked well.

Post 17 Jun 2022, 18:30 • #12 
Sport
Thanks for the tips, I will check them out.

New Topic Add Reply