It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jun 2022, 09:02 • #1 
Master Guide
Looking to build out a 7ft, 6-7wt blank for bass bugging from a kayak.

It seems most of the modern blank makers I’m familiar with are rolling fantastic blanks in lighter weights.

Any recommendations for a 7ft, 6-7wt blank?

Thanks

Post 02 Jun 2022, 12:43 • #2 
Administrator
Guadalupe Bass wrote:
Looking to build out a 7ft, 6-7wt blank for bass bugging from a kayak.

I can't think of a short, 6/7 weight glass blank specifically designed as a fly rod. For kayak use, relatively cheap blanks/reels are good in case you capsize and the rod is lost.

Jann's Netcraft sells a 2-piece, 8 foot, 5/6 weight glass fly blank that could be trimmed to 7-ish feet long. Trimming a rod blank removes some of the flex, so the built out rod would be marginally stiffer.

Another option is a 7 foot, glass spin rod blank, such as the 1-piece E-glass Batson Forecast. For a 6/7 weight rod you might look for a blank rated for 3/16 to 3/8 oz lure weights. Spin rod blanks are usually more tip action than fly blanks, but that might play nicely for kayak fishing. The shorter Batson blanks are the basis of the Tadpole fly rods.

With some luck, you might find one of the TFO 2-piece, 6'9" uniglass blanks from 12-15 years back. TFO built some out and marketed them as 5 weights. I built one up to fish from my kayak with a seven weight line. I've cast the rod with 6 and 8 weight lines too.

Finally, find a vintage rod that needs a rebuild. Trimming, adding stiffening stents, new hardware, etc., are all fun ways to get there.

Tom

Post 02 Jun 2022, 22:08 • #3 
Master Guide
That gives me some good places to start. Thanks

Post 03 Jun 2022, 10:59 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I suggest you consider a Fenwick FF70 or FF706 in the 6wt model. Not really much else available in that length/wt. years ago, Lamiglas put out a 7’6” 5pc spin/fly that was, in my opinion, a 6/7 wt. there was one recently for sale on the big auction site. You might also consider one of the Fenwick spin/fly rods. They always seem to be available on the auction site. Rebuild it as a dedicated fly rod. Another option is to look at either an Orvis or LL Bean pack rod. There is one on the big auction site now listed as a 7wt.

Post 29 Jun 2022, 15:45 • #5 
Sport
I built a 2 pc rod this winter out of two Batson SPG781 blanks. I added an extension for the reel seat, and a fighting butt, so it is just short of 7'. I've been fishing it with a old 8wt Rio bass bug line and it is a slow action, but I'm really enjoying it. Broke it in on a few river smallmouth last weekend (bass opener in eastern Ontario). I think it would work well with a 7wt too.

Post 30 Jun 2022, 07:47 • #6 
Master Guide
A few years ago as a Winter build I redid an old Shakespeare Wonder Rod. 7.5’ and when I was done it was an easy 6 wt. I don’t use it anymore as I have too many rods. But one of those may be something to look for.

Post 30 Jun 2022, 07:57 • #7 
Guide
jgestar wrote:
Jann's Netcraft sells a 2-piece, 8 foot, 5/6 weight glass fly blank that could be trimmed to 7-ish feet long. Trimming a rod blank removes some of the flex, so the built out rod would be marginally stiffer.

Finally, find a vintage rod that needs a rebuild. Trimming, adding stiffening stents, new hardware, etc., are all fun ways to get there.

Really interesting stuff: apart from any desire to keep the section lengths the same, do you think trimming from the tip down makes any difference vs removing equally from top and bottom?
thanks

Post 30 Jun 2022, 09:43 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Trimming from the tip and the butt will give very different behaviors. From the tip, you are trimming off the thinnest portion. From the butt, the thickest. Trimming from the tip makes for a heavier line weight (as you will know if you fish short tip rods) and a bit stiffer/faster action for most rods.

Trimming from the butt has the effect of "slowing" the rod down in my experience. It moves the flex down the rod blank (or the grip up the flex curve to be more accurate).

Trimming from both ends is usually the most consistent method, but there is nothing wrong with staggered ferrule rods.

If you plan on tinkering with vintage rods, look up Andy Manchester's old posts "oldmanyankee"? It's a shame I can't remember his screen name. His presence here is missed. He was a wealth of knowledge on tuning fly rods. But to be honest, playing with them is half the fun.

Post 30 Jun 2022, 09:54 • #9 
Master Guide
Another option would be to maybe get a 9’ 4 pc w probably in a 5 wt and then just drop the butt section.
I would try it with one of the import glass blanks just because it wouldn’t be a huge investment. One could even glue in then trim part of the butt section just to hold the grip and seat if you wanted the rod a bit longer.

Post 24 Jul 2022, 10:46 • #10 
Master Guide
Thanks to a member of this forum, I lucked in to a sanded Fisher x2977 blank and a Lemke GS1 reel seat and zebra wood spacer.

It turned out just like I had imagined.
Wrapped it in a “Winston style” - even tried my nest to count/estimate the number of thread wraps from photos of SF & Montana-era Winstons.

Casts a WF6 Rio Singlehanded Spey line just like I hoped it would.

Post 24 Jul 2022, 10:53 • #11 
Master Guide
Nice. That came out great!

Post 24 Jul 2022, 15:59 • #12 
Master Guide
Thanks for passing the blank on to me.
I’m really happy with it.

Also want to take a moment thank this forum as a whole.

This is my 15th build and I am very appreciative of all of the support y’all have provided since I decided to venture down this particular path within our beloved sport.

Post 24 Jul 2022, 16:15 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Your finish work is really excellent. This is a cool project.

Post 25 Jul 2022, 08:46 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
If you plan on tinkering with vintage rods, look up Andy Manchester's old posts "oldmanyankee"? It's a shame I can't remember his screen name. His presence here is missed. He was a wealth of knowledge on tuning fly rods.

I think you mean "The Glass Master"

@Guadalupe Bass, you could contact Mike McFarland, I think I read that he will custom roll a blank.

Post 17 Aug 2022, 11:44 • #15 
Guide
Bringing this thread back. I noticed Baston and seeker have blanks in the 7-7-6 range. Looking for a salty 6/7 for out of a kayak use as the op. Does anyone have experience with these?

Thanks

Post 17 Aug 2022, 14:39 • #16 
Guide
wow what a build guadalupe bass - gorgeous!!

Post 17 Aug 2022, 16:33 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful rod, and I'm glad that it handles well for you. Enjoy it!

Post 22 Aug 2022, 10:07 • #18 
Guide
That build and configuration turned out really nice. FWIW, I noticed on graywolf's instagram that he's building a 7'6" 7wt and 8wt. They wouldn't be cheap rods for potentially cap sizing in a canoe or kayake, but they seem like an interesting option. Good for "brown lining" for bass and pike is my guess.

New Topic Add Reply