It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:08

New Topic Add Reply
Really long stent?
Post 29 May 2022, 18:04 • #1 
Master Guide
Regular customer has me building a replacement rod. The new blank is a Winston Pure. It’s replacement for for an older Winston IM 6. The reason for the replacement is that the original has a crush/crack about 2” long about 2” above the grip. I need to salvage the original reel seat for use on the new blank.
Just because I want the challenge here’s my thought. Make a stent that would extend slightly past the crack and be long enough to attach a reel seat. Glue everything up then over wrap the break area with natural silk and top with a couple of coats of epoxy finish.
My feeling is I’ve got nothing to lose but time and a bit of materials. But if I can get the old rod back to the guy in halfway fishable condition then it’s a bonus.
Will it work?

Re: Really long stent?
Post 29 May 2022, 18:58 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It could, but I don’t think I could rely on the rod after that. Good Luck whichever way!

Post 29 May 2022, 19:09 • #3 
Master Guide
Thanks
At this point the original rod has more sentimental value than anything. I kind of want to surprise him with the fix.

Post 29 May 2022, 19:18 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
No reason not to try. You aren't losing anything other than time, and you might learn something from it. I'd certainly be interested in your thoughts on the results.

Post 29 May 2022, 19:36 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I think the repair as you propose is very workable. I did a similar repair several years ago as the result of a clean break about 3” above the grip. The stent I inserted ended about 1 1/2” above the break and ended about 3-4” into the grip. The new thread wrap covered the break nicely. This was a 3wt glass rod, so no great strain imposed on the rod. Still think the repair is worth the effort.

Post 29 May 2022, 21:06 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Should work fine. Are you planning to use the section of the original rod below the break?? I would just cut the rod just above the crush, and use a long stent.

Post 21 Jul 2022, 14:11 • #7 
Master Guide
Well the project is done. I removed the sentinel reel seat from the broken Winston and used it on the guys new Winston Pure. That was all he wanted.
I couldn’t bring myself to trash half a rod. The break was more of a crush than a snap. Since the seat was off I had access to the inside. Some careful measuring got me close to the dimensions for the stent. A little fitting and voila. I used an old tip section to get epoxy into the break area and beyond. Wrapped it like I would for a bamboo repair until the glue dried then overwrapped the entire area with matching thread and epoxy. Added another
Small stent and new reel seat and done.
Everyone is happy.

Post 21 Jul 2022, 22:13 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Glad you were able to get that done. My rod with the similar repair is still going strong.

Post 22 Jul 2022, 19:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Do you mind posting pictures of the repaired rod and, if you have any, pictures of the process? I’d love to see them.

New Topic Add Reply