It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:32

New Topic Add Reply
Pit Paste Question
Post 26 May 2022, 14:41 • #1 
Sport
Just opened my container of pit paste and found it pretty dry. Is it possible/advisable to add a little water, let sit and attempt to mix it in? Or should I just order another container? The bummer is I need it now!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Re: Pit Paste Question
Post 26 May 2022, 16:45 • #2 
Master Guide
Go to your big box home improvement store and get some Elmers golden oak wood putty. Usually a perfect match and no waiting for delivery.

Post 26 May 2022, 16:59 • #3 
Administrator
Pit Paste is a cork filler sold by Roddancer. I couldn't find an SDS online, so I don't know what solvents were used. The product description claims, "cleans with soap and water", which suggests a latex type formulation.

You can try mixing some dried out Pit Paste with water, but latex chemistry is more complicated than filler plus soapy water. Test your mixture on some old wine corks before you smear it on a new rod.

Your safest bet is to order a new batch.

Tom

Post 27 May 2022, 09:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
And here, I thought you were talking about this... ;)

I do it the old fashioned way with cork dust & glue. I use the ProGlü epoxy that Mud Hole peddles.

Post 28 May 2022, 16:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
cheffy wrote:
Go to your big box home improvement store and get some Elmers golden oak wood putty. Usually a perfect match and no waiting for delivery.

I’ll second this suggestion.

Post 30 May 2022, 20:27 • #6 
Sport
Thought I should write a follow up on reconstituting my dried-out Pit Paste. With nothing to lose I dug out a small amount of Pit Paste and put it in an epoxy mixing cup. I added a few drops of water and using a flat bladed screwdriver I "smashed" the Pit Paste and kept blending in the water. Worked like a charm! I then did the same procedure with the remaining paste in the original container. I let this batch sit overnight and then thoroughly mixed and smoothed out the paste.

Later in the day I filled a cork handle's flawed surface and it turned out just like I hoped it would and sanded like fresh Pit Paste. Now on to building the reel seat.

Post 31 May 2022, 08:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for following up. Realize that only time will tell if the product performance wasn't compromised. Nevertheless, "nothing to lose" was a good way to move forward and get the rod to your liking. Once you get it out on the water, I bet it will be.

New Topic Add Reply