It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 May 2022, 22:51 • #1 
Hi Folks,
Wondering could someone offer some advice for my Fred Paddock 7ft 9 - 4 weight yellow glass. I purchased this rod recently and I have to say it's one of the nicest rods I have ever fished on our small streams here where I live in NSW, Australia.
My problem is I cannot get any of my small reels to stay on the cap and ring reel seat. It seems to me that the reel seat was built for the original owner's reel which has a very slim foot.
I know I can change the reel seat but I would like to keep the rod in its originality! One thought I have is to reduce the reel seat diameter slightly so my reel foot fits better.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Regards
John Starr

Post 18 May 2022, 06:28 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
My advice would be get a different reel to keep the integrity of the rod.
A Hardy type foot is generally the reference for most, if not all, rod builders. There are many Hardy built click-and-pawl reels that would fit & look wonderful on this rod: Hardy Featherweight, Orvis CFO III, Hardy JLH, Hardy LRH, etc.

Post 18 May 2022, 09:24 • #3 
Master Guide
I know some folks would shake their heads at this “hack”. I put a little strip of duct tape on my reel foot. The slider hides it. Perhaps, you could use silver or a matching color.

Post 18 May 2022, 10:52 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have done what Panfish suggests, but with a minor difference…I cut the duct tape to fit the reel foot it’s entire length. Even with several layers, it is difficult to see the tape. As an after thought, you might look for thin cork strips you could cut down. Might check out your local Rockwell or some such supplier.

Post 18 May 2022, 12:35 • #5 
Guide
It may be my intrepretation of the issue, but when he stated possible designed for a small thin foot, then to me his foot is thicker and does not slide into the cap as well as ring slide up far enough. In that instance, then one would have to remove some of the mortise area to allow the foot to sit a bit lower

Post 18 May 2022, 12:52 • #6 
Master Guide
Well shoot.

Post 18 May 2022, 15:23 • #7 
Thank for your suggestions. Yes the cap and ring are too small to take my reels. The current reel seat size would have to be reduced, replaced or bite the bullet and buy a reel with a thin foot. Painful as I have a nice collection of reels that are great but don't fit.
Regards
Starry.

Post 18 May 2022, 17:48 • #8 
Guide
It is really not all that difficult of a fix. All you have to do is remove the cap with a heat gun and depending on whether it is a mortised style or offset style remove some material and re varnish, and re install the cap. It it is a true mortise style, then if you have an old reel, take the foot off of it, wrap 220 or 320 sandpaper over it, and by hand just move up and down the mortise until you have removed enough material for a fit to suit you. If it is an offset style just take some sandpaper to the offset part like if you were polishing a pair of shoes with a rag.. Personally I re dip the entire insert and stand on end, but one can just use a brush and re coat after thoroughly cleaning it

Post 18 Jun 2022, 04:09 • #9 
Hi folks,
Finally bit the bullet and removed the cap and ring. Carefully sanded down and applied 5 coats of Tung oil. My Tibor reel fits great.
Many thanks for all the help with this!
Regards
Starry

Post 18 Jun 2022, 07:49 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Great job!

Post 30 Jun 2022, 15:18 • #11 
Master Guide
Well done. Great taper. Enjoy.

New Topic Add Reply