It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 May 2022, 20:35 • #1 
Hi-I looked around on the forum and didn’t find a topic so I’m starting one.

I have several old rods that are oxidized or calcified. Was thinking a rag dampened with vinegar as a first step. Any thoughts?

Post 12 May 2022, 23:41 • #2 
Master Guide
Boy, I don’t know if this will help or not for your situation. But I once bought an old graphite blank where the finish was really dull and had some light scratches. I used a several applications of Meguiar's rubbing and polishing compounds to bring it back to life. It worked really well. I did tape off the male ferrule as I feared that it might change the fit. Hope you get some good advice. Good luck.

Post 13 May 2022, 10:16 • #3 
Thanks for the note. I was thinking a polish or cleaner used on fiberglass boats might work but wanted to get some advice from the group before trying it.

Post 13 May 2022, 12:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Disclaimer, I'm not an expert rod restorer and what I do is for myself only, that out of the way, I start with a hot water and dish soap bath/scrub, followed after drying by a good wipe down with mineral spirits, followed by a wipe with alcohol, using soft cloths and tooth pics as needed. Then I either wax it or finger varnish it depending on condition after cleaning.
Some past threads that you might like-
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18487
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1114
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48449
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38333
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6034

Post 13 May 2022, 13:00 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
A picture is worth 1000 words. Some issues can be solved, others can't (fenwick bubbles). So start mild and get more aggressive as you go and decide how much of the rod you want to save.

If the paint will handle it, vinegar should work, but I would start with dish soap and water and maybe a microfiber cloth or even a mild rub from a green scotch-brite pad that is attached to a yellow sponge.

Then work up, denatured alcohol, then some mild approaches (vinegar seems as good as any.)

Post 14 May 2022, 12:07 • #6 
Thanks everybody! Appreciate the tips.

Post 14 May 2022, 15:49 • #7 
Master Guide
Start with some Dawn dish soap and water. Give it a good rinse. If that doesn’t work I’d go the Meguires car polish route. If you look at the bottles it will tell you the “cut”. Go with one of the finer ones and finish with their polish/wax. I’ve used that stuff to polish out the finish on older bamboo fly rods. Works great.

New Topic Add Reply